Help! Sick Chicken

flyboy

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
Hi All, My first post here. (wish it were under better circumstances
sad.png
)

One of my EasterEggers is sick. She is "rattling" when she breathes. She comes right out of the Hen house when I open it up in the AM and runs right to the water to drink....Although I believe she is off her feed.
This morning when she pooped it looked relatively normal, although it was a very small amount and rather wet (but still semi formed) AND when I looked at it, it moved.......yup a parasite of some type...She had just went when I "inspected" it so I know it came out of her and wasnt something that came along after.

Im not sure if these two problems (rattling breath, and worms) are connected or if Im dealing with two separate problems.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
J.R.

Last edited:
Worms are a stress which can cause a flare up of respritory symptoms.

Suppose to a bird suffering with respritory would be more easily overcome with worms, but less likely that way round.

Sounds like she needs to be wormed ASAP and then deal with the respritory as it comes.

Hi I agree. Worm them asap and then if that doesn't help, look at other symptoms and causes. At least she's drinking which is a good sign. Sometimes also keeping them calm ie in a seperate box can help reduce stress. I'm sure you know the personality of your hen and can decide what would be better to reduce any stress. Hope that this helps? Good Luck. Nicki

Back
Top Bottom