help sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bucky1198, Nov 25, 2011.

1. bucky1198

bucky1198 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    colorado
    My 5 month old chicken started acting lethargic and was just not herself about 3 days ago. Noticed this morning that she has diarrhea all over her rear end. She is drinking but I am not sure if she is eating much. Not sure what I should do any suggestions? No vet that really deals with chickens in my area.

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    At the very least I would get some electrolytes in her. Even gator aide would help. then put her on an antibiotic in her water. If shes not drinking i have used a needleless syringe to put some water in her mouth. A little tug on her waddle and her mouth will open. Be careful not to get any in her windpipe.
    Wish I could help you more.
    Good luck

3. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    How are things going for you now?

I am also looking for advice- I found one of my Isa Brown's under the coop the other day at dusk when she didn't show up for roll-call & she was standing there in the wetness after a rainy day. I brought her in the coop & she just wanted to stay in a nest I made for her on the floor & has stayed there for 2 days. When I put food near her beak, she would eat a few bites so I know she's hungry, but then stopped. I gave her a first dose of antibiotics tonight & also put a 100watt bulb above her (it's been getting in the 20's at night). Her vent was matted with dried poo so I pulled that off (put my hand in a plastic bag to get it) but she didn't seem to be too appreciative of THAT!

I wondered if she hurt her leg as she doesn't seem to want to stand for more then a second or two & then nests back down. I noticed some gurgling so started the antibiotcs in case there's a respiratory thing.

Not sure what I'll find in the AM- Any thoughts would be great on how to diagnose since they can't tell us what's wrong.

4. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    You could try a couple of drops of Poly-Vi- Sol. I'd also treat the whole flock with an antibiotic in the water. I'd segregate her under a lamp and offer her some mashed hard boiled egg. I also syringe feed Lafeber's Nutritional Support to sick chicks which is really good but pricey and only available through a vet. Hope that helps

5. bucky1198

bucky1198 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    colorado
    Sorry it took so long reply but I didn't do anything I watched her the next day day and gave her some extra food and she perked up after that she is back to normal..sorry I'm no help.

6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    T-Amy--
    How is your hen? Does she seem to be feeling any stronger? Has she developed any new symptoms?

7. T-Amy

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    Quote:Hello there,

Thank you for asking!
    She seems about the same, maybe a very little bit better than yesterday when she sat there with her eyes open & closing as if she just felt like crap. I'm still stumped though & thought about having her put down... - I've got her under a 100watt bulb & she hasn't moved from the hay nest which I keep separate from the other birds who steal her food (stink pots!). She is pooping but it's green, and doesn't seem to want to move around.

I'm concerned about 2 things:

1. Not moving around much- spreads wings to help with balance but doesn't seem to want to walk, thought she may've hurt her legs when jumping/flying off the roost or if there's an impacted egg.... Range of motion seems normal for legs & when I felt her belly area I didn't feel a 'stuck' egg... but I'm wondering if you can feel it without doing an internal check??? I can say I've never given a rectal to a chicken before!
    2. The gurgling when she breathes. I have her on Tetracycline (day 3) & she seems about the same. but perhaps it takes more than just a few days to notice a difference.

She has a so-so appetite but only seems to want to eat when I hold food up for her (bread soaked in the antibiotic water has been a LOT easier than dealing with the syringe. Plus then i don't have to worry about aspirating it into her little lungs. I'm doing yogurt (several hours after the antibiotic so the meds don't negate the probiotics), too, in addition to her usual pellets & occasional corn/grain mix.

The heat seems to keep her comfortable & I can't imagine how she could keep herself warm enough if we didn't have that in there.

any thoughts or advice would be great- thanks, Amy

8. SpeckledHills

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    It might be good to try to narrow down more what condition she might have.

You can use Search here on BYC or an internet search engine to try to find info on possibly relevant diseases & treatments. There are also some very good links to info at http://www.poultryhelp.com/link-disease.html. Disease charts that list symptoms may be a good place to start, to help you figure out what your hen most likely has. Then you can look up more detailed information on that specific condition.

You could also use the "Sticky" post at the top of the "Emergencies..." index (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569) to evaluate & put together a detailed description of your hen's problem that may help in diagnosing her more & in getting best advice from everyone.

I hope you are able to find enough helpful information. It's good you are taking such careful care of her--It sounds like you're giving good treatments.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  9. T-Amy

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    Quote:Thank you for the links- I clicked on several in the first link you sent but they showed as a dead site or unable to access them. Perhaps it's b/c I'm using a work computer- not sure.

We ended up putting our girl down this morning. She was not responding to the antibiotics after 4 days & seemed worse today. At one point when I moved her she looked as if she was going to pass herself. Then she tried with all her might to get her body back up using her wings but she was just so weak & her breast bone was protruding (she only eats a few bites when I try to feed her as her bowls next to her were always the way they were when I left). She seemed alert but her body was just not cooperating at all.

I am going to use your second link & see if I can find what her diagnosis might be. I have a friend I chat with back & forth on here & we are sharing experiences & wonder if it's the feed we give the girls that contributes to their issues?

Thanks so much again-

10. SpeckledHills

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    So sorry you had to lose her. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] It sounds like you made very caring & responsible choices for her. That is very kind the ways you helped her.

I had a rooster that had lots of white diarrhea that stuck to him, & that turned out to be Necrotic Enteritis. What color was your hen's stuck poop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by