Help Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmgirl1006, Nov 18, 2013.

1. farmgirl1006

farmgirl1006 New Egg

Jun 27, 2013
    Help! We are new to chickens this year, have 5month old hens, no newbies, one of our red hens has been ill for a few days and we can't seem to figure it out. She first got clumsy/cold like symptoms, mucus/nasal congestion. Now she is getting worse, nasal congestion seems to have cleared some, but she is very lethargic and can barely sit on her own, she does try to eat/drink if given food. We have her seperated from the rest of the flock. No mites/lice. Been giving her electrolytes and extra protein. Also has diarrhea. Please help, we don't want to lose her.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    For your situation, I'd recommend Tylan 50 injections or Tylan soluble powder for water treatment. Tylan 50 is 1/2 cc with a 25 gauge needle under the skin on the back of the neck for 5 days. Tylan powder is 1/4 tsp per gallon of water making a fresh solution each day for 3-5 days. It sounds like Chronic Respiratory Disease. Birds sometimes show symptoms when stressed and the immune system is compromised. Even weather changes can stress birds. It is a slow spreading disease which can last a long time. I would do a flock treatment of Tylan soluble powder in the water. here is what the product looks like:
    http://www.revivalanimal.com/Tylan.html

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She need to be inside where it's warm with access to food and water.

-Kathy

4. farmgirl1006

farmgirl1006 New Egg

Jun 27, 2013
    Thanks for the help. We were too late with this lady. She didn't make it.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Sorry for you loss.

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Yes. I am also sorry your hen didn't make it. I would still do a water treatment with the rest of them. Coryza/CRD is contagious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by