HELP! SICK CHICKEN!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katiem, Jan 28, 2014.

1. katiem

katiem New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    One of my very much loved family chicken is sick, please help. She hasn't been laying eggs, is puffed up and not walking about just sitting down, although she can still walk to get to food or water. Last year, we lost a chicken and I believe she died from eggs stuck in her system. I really hope the same won't happen to this one. I have checked for mites/lice or substances in her eyes but struggled to find anything. Please help!!!!! Also I do not want to take her to the vet, because my parents believe that it's a waste of money and we can just buy another :(

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Well, if you think she is eggbound, I have read that sitting them in a warm water bath for about maybe ten or fifthteen minutes can relax them and help pass the egg. Also, make sure they have access to oyster shell for calcium.
    If it isn't that, you may try treating her for coccidiosis, although I don't know what the circumstances are with your flock or your area, but it seems to be a common ailment.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  3. katiem

katiem New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    I put her in warm water not long ago for about 10 minutes or less and she is walking around more with my other 2 chooks, but still is puffed up. I checked her poo and it looks normal, where do I check to know if she is egg bound? Is there another way instead of sticking a finger up there.

4. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    You can check externally by gently palpating her abdomen for an egg, it may be close to her vent toward the backbone, under the point of the breastbone. A vent exam is better, lightly lubed glove, or saran wrap A gentle external massage while being soaked, and massaging toward the vent. Also calcium tablet given to her will help pass an egg.

If her abdomen is very squishy swollen maybe EYP, internal egg layer. Also check make sure the area around vent isn't smelly, yeasty discharge which means vent gleet. Is her crop normal? Is it empty in the morning? Can you feel anything she has eaten, feeling her crop can make gurgling noises if there is air in the crop. If you feel a solid mass in crop give her water and try to massage the mass apart. If crop is very soft swollen could be sour crop feed her yogurt, and do a search for other treatments. Any sour smell around her head? Hope she feels better soon, I am sure others will give advice too.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Time to cowboy or cowgirl up and stick your finger in there. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

6. katiem

katiem New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    Thankyou, for all your advice! I just felt her crop and it was empty, I put both food and water infront of her and she took a few pecks at the food and left to go sit in the sun. I am getting very worried because in Australia right now it is very hot! I have moved her under the shade but she moves back to the sun. I do not have any calcium tablets but I was wondering if egg shells would so the same? I have been massaging her but nothing seems to happen, I even soaked her in warm water at the same time. Also noticed that her poo is a runny whitish yellow colour. She loses balence a bit and I felt her back and there were two small lumps that felt like eggs. If I have to put a finger up there I will if its the last solution.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Crushed egg shells or calcium antacid tablets such as Tums would be fine. Hurry because calcium deficiency is the cause of egg binding. Soak her in a hot tub for at least 30 minutes.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If there is an egg she needs calcium, egg shells won't work. If she has an egg and you do nothing she will die.

-Kathy

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    An egg bound chicken won't make it very long. Try to examine her vent, then you can rule it out. Is there a possibility that she has coccidiosis? Would your family let you treat her for that with amprollium? The symptoms are puffing up, lethargy, poor appetite, diarrhea, and sometimes blood in the poop.

10. katiem

katiem New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    I believe she has Coccidiosis. How do I treat her, and how much money will it cost? Do I need to seperate her from the others? Thankyou for all your help once again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by