HELP- sick chicken?

authorlindsayc

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 16, 2014
Texas
Hey there! I am new to this backyard chicken thing. My white leghorn hen has been an awesome bird for us so far. We've only had her 2 weeks, but she's laying almost every single day. Last night she was fine...and then this morning, after a cold night, she was just laying in their "free-range" pen, not moving much. Her comb is droopy and she is all puffed up. We checked the coop for eggs, and there was a smashed egg that was hers (she's the only one that lays white eggs). The eggshell looked weird, like maybe it wasn't a whole egg...and the yolk was in a puddle beside it.

My husband and I brought her into the garage and set her up in there, because we heard it's good to move them away from the flock if they're sick.

Anyone know what the heck is going on with her?

She's asleep in the garage right now, perched on a box..but she won't "unpuff" her feathers, and her comb is so droopy. Doesn't look good.

Sorry about your bird!
hugs.gif

She may be egg bound. You need to give her a warm bath and massage her behind area. Apply either vaseline or an ointment to her vent area and give her herbs such as lavender, mint, thyme and yarrow. (These will calm and relax her.) Here is a link on further info about egg binding
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

You NEED to get her to drink. Use a syringe or eye dropper if you have to. Make sure that the water goes straight down her throat. It would be best if you had two people when doing this because if the water goes down the wrong way, it could hurt her more.

Best of luck!

I have had some hens like this in the past. I gave them yogurt, garlic, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, a pinch of cayenne, and a little cat food (protein source) that I ran through the blender. I dipped their beak in it to get her to eat some of it, and then I isolated her. She was fine after a few days. This has always worked for me when I have had the odd chicken not feeling well. Now if your hen has some kind of egg related problem, then this will most likely not help any. I have not had many chickens with those type of problems, so I will not be able to help you there. Good luck! I hope she gets better soon.

Sorry about your bird!
hugs.gif

She may be egg bound. You need to give her a warm bath and massage her behind area. Apply either vaseline or an ointment to her vent area and give her herbs such as lavender, mint, thyme and yarrow. (These will calm and relax her.) Here is a link on further info about egg binding
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

You NEED to get her to drink. Use a syringe or eye dropper if you have to. Make sure that the water goes straight down her throat. It would be best if you had two people when doing this because if the water goes down the wrong way, it could hurt her more.

Best of luck!

Definitely check out that link. Can you feel anything in her abdomen? Does she seem to be straining?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom