help! sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kforsyth, Jan 9, 2015.

1. kforsyth

kforsyth New Egg

Sep 18, 2014
    One of my chickens was standing alone this morning, tail down, breathing somewhat heavily, and she appears to be straining.
    Upon examination, abdomen does not feel hard, and there was no sign of egg in vent. Her butt feathers are slightly soiled.
    I have given her calcium in case of egg binding, and soaked her in warm water, and she has been given water through an
    eyedropper. She still looks the same. I do not know what is wrong, and I don't know what to try,

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did you feel inside the vent an inch or two with a finger to check for a egg? How old is she? Has she been wormed recently? I would confine her so that I could watch her droppings and make sure she is eating and drinking. Offer her some scrambled egg to eat. Has she appeared puffed up with her head drawn back into her shoulders? Note what her droppings look like.

3. kforsyth

kforsyth New Egg

Sep 18, 2014
    I did feel inside her for an egg. I did not feel one. Her poop is mostly water with a little yellow to it. She is very puffed up I don't know so much about her head drawn back but she does look like a big ball. she is drinking, and moving around some lots of dirt bathing. she's 11 month old and never wormed.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    First I would deworm her with Valbazen 1/2 ml given orally and repeat in 10 days. If you cannot find Valbazen locally, then get SafeGuard or Panacur Equine Paste and give a pea size amount or 1/2 ml orally. Repeat in 10 days. You also could treat her for possible coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium) in her water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the powder, or 1.5 tsp of the liquid, per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Then to get her gut bacteria back on track, give her vitamins and probiotics for several days in a row. Corid is available in farm stores in the cattle medicines.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The water she needs is about 15 ml per *pound* every six hours. Probably best to learn how to tube feed.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by