Florida
Background info:
-----------------------
I'm a new owner to chickens. I had five hens:
- 2 silkies
-an Easter Egger
- a Silver Laced Wyandotte
- a Barred Rock

All lived in a 10 ft, X 10ft coop with a roof, until recently we moved and bought a chicken tractor coop with a roof and nesting box that is smaller until we can build them something nice like they had before. I give them fresh food and water daily. We feed them Purina Star Grow (non-medicated).

I go out and feed and play with the chickens daily. Picking them up so they get use to being handled. They are about 3-4 months old. They have all their feathers but are still smaller than full grown.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Problem:
--------------

1.) About a two weeks ago I came home from a weekend trip and found a dead silkie. Everyone was fine before I left but I didn't handle them for 1 1/2 days. So I'm not sure what she looked like right before dying. When I came home they still had food and water. The breeder said someone might have "pecked" her in the temple and it was a freak accident.

2.) on Wednesday (4-16-14) I went out and the Silver Laced Wyandotte's eyes were shut. Not really swollen just like sleepycrust in the eyes, pasted shut and her chest (not sure of the name) wasn't full with food. I contacted the breeder and she said to give her tyban and some other antibiotic that she gave me and I can't remember the name. I think it had an "Oxy" in it. She said it sells for like $30 a gallon if that helps anyone with a name.

On Thursday (4-17-14) her eyes were open again. One was a bit watery (clear liquid) but she was looking a lot better. The breeder said it might just be Spring time allergies. I went and got the meds any way just to have it on hand. The feed store didn't have Tyban, so I got Tetracycline. But I didn't separate or give meds at that time.

Everything looked good until Sunday. This is also the day we packed up and moved. Before leaving the old house the silver Laced Wyandottes eyes looked bad again, and the barred Rocks were slightly closed. I put them in the new coop and started the meds that the breeder gave me. I put some in the water, and also but some in a spray bottle and spayed it in their eyes (per her instructions).

Today (Tuesday 4-22-14) I went out and the Silver Laced Wyandotte was dead, the Barred Rock and the Easter Eggers eyes are half closed, the silkies eyes are nice round and black.

I'm not sure if I'm panicking over every little eye movement but I do think something is wrong. At the moment I'm disinfecting EVERYTHING twice. Once with bleach, then again with Odoban. I'm taking out the silkie and putting her away from the other sick looking ones.

They don't have a foul odor (the breeder said that could mean a certain sickness). She also told me how to check for mites and fleas. I did and didn't find anything, but did buy 7 dust just to have incase. They are not coughing or sneezing. No discharge from the nostrils.

What should my next move be? The meds I have are:
-Tetracycline
-The one I don't know the name (sorry I know that's not much help)
-Electrolyte (Save-a-chick)
-Probiotic (save-a-chick)

I'm down to three chickens now. Should I medicate all three even if the silkie looks ok, or just the two sick ones?

Also WHAT is it that they have?

I'm sorry this post is so long. I was just trying to give you as detailed information as I could. Thank you for any help you can give me :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom