Help, sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SouthShoreCoop, Jun 29, 2016.

1. SouthShoreCoop

SouthShoreCoop Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    South Shore Ky
    I have 6 chickens. 5 buffs and a gold star. Two of the buffs keeping their eyes closed and are gasping for air and coughing. I've given them duramycin 10 in their water, vet rx rubbed on them and nutri-drench. Any idea what they could have and/or what else I can do to treat them. They're all around 17 weeks old.

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi! That definitely sounds like a respiratory infection, so Duramycin was a good choice. Sounds like you're taking great care of them and there's not much else to do other than making sure that they're still eating and drinking enough, but cutting down on dust levels may help alleviate their symptoms a little bit too. Good luck! [​IMG]

Edited because I can't believe I forgot to mention that it's super important that you separate the two that are coughing from the rest of the flock since it may be a viral infection.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. SouthShoreCoop

SouthShoreCoop Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    South Shore Ky
    Update... I've given all my girls duramycin for three days now, along with nutritional drops and vet rx. 5 are seeming to be doing fine, one however is still struggling with breathing. Gasping for air and keep her eyes closed a lot. She does move with the flock when they're our portaging but I can still tell that sown thing is wrong. She looks up and holds her mouth upon wide to breathe in, when she breathes out I hear a slight rattling sound. In addition to the antibiotic I've treated her with 1/4 ml of Valbazen in fear that it may be gape worms. Anyone who can offer any suggestions or info please feel free to do so.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by