Help! Sick chickens!

chickieluver26

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
San Antonio Texas
I show chickens and these are show birds that are sick. They are coughing and sneezing. I can hear their breathing and it's raspy. They have fluid coming out of their noses and it crusts up into broogers. What comes out of their nose and sometimes cough it up it's a smelly smelly liquid. I have a show this weekend and one of the birds I'm supposed to take is like this. What do I do! I gave electrolytes to try to help them fight it

Have you added birds to your flock recently or been to a show ? Your birds may have Infectious Choryza - or at least a respiratory disease of some sort. In all good conscience you should not take any birds to a show this weekend and risk infecting the birds of others. You may want to start your birds on antibiotic treatment.

Have you added birds to your flock recently or been to a show ?  Your birds may have Infectious Choryza - or at least a respiratory disease of some sort.  In all good conscience you should not take any birds to a show this weekend and risk infecting the birds of others.  You may want to start your birds on antibiotic treatment.

I hope you figure out what is wrong with your birds, but please, please, please do not take a sick bird to a show.

I went to a show early last month. And don't worry, I will not be taking the sick one

Are the sick ones quarantined?

Were they with the rest of the flock when you noticed the symptoms? If so, all of them have been exposed and can be carriers of respiratory illnesses even though they don't show it. You really shouldn't take any of your birds to a show until the organism causing the illness has been identified, and all of your flock has been treated.

Electrolytes are not going to cure your bird. Please do what is right and not take your bird to any show or around any other birds and see a vet to get the proper diagnosis & antibiotics. Even if a bird doesn't show symptoms of a disease, they can still be infected or carriers. Be a responsible owner and spend the weekend caring for your bird instead of showing it.

Please let the vet know you have other chickens on site so that they can also be treated. Ask whether the birds will be carriers after the symptoms subside.

Back
Top Bottom