HELP SICK CHICKENS

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lau Lau, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Lau Lau

Lau Lau New Egg

Jun 26, 2014
    Hey Y'all. I lost a chicken two weeks ago, she was fine in the monring, even laid egg and was found dead in coop at dust. She had been gone for a while. I notice another bird yesterday or the day before walking around like she was in a daze, kinda slow, didn't run from me. Yesterday hubby found her in laying box, thought she was dead, head tucked but she was alive. We put her up but she only made it about 100 yards out of the coop today and laid down to die. :( What is going on?!?!? What do I need to do to save the herd?!?! I am so upset! :( PLease anyone??

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It could be so many different things, especially with no real symptoms. It would be a stab in the dark to speculate. Lab work is the only way to know. Your state should have a vet school or state poultry lab. Where are you. You need to contact the lab and see how they want the bird delivered. First thing is to soap up the bird with some dish washing liquid, wrap it in plastic and refrigerate it.
    The most accurate results come by giving them a live bird that is having symptoms.

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry about your bird and losses![​IMG] I'm not sure what is wrong but I would make sure to get her drinking and post in the emergency area. (Link provided by Bantam Lover above.)

Hope she recovers!

I love your avatar!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC fro northern Michigan [​IMG]

Follow the link above, and good luck with your birds

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, I am so sorry! I would definitely start with things they could be eating. Either spoiled or moldy food, toxic plants or some sort of poison outside. Give everybody a good exam to see if you can find ANY clues...looking for extreme weight loss, egg binding, impacted crops, injuries, bugs, lice, internal worms, anything.

But definitely post in our emergency section for more input on this. I hope you can get this all figured out soon. [​IMG]

7. Lau Lau

Lau Lau New Egg

Jun 26, 2014
    I don't believe that I have a place here willing to do blood work on a chicken for free.

8. Lau Lau

Lau Lau New Egg

Jun 26, 2014
    I have to be honest, I have three children, I homeschool, and I was lucky I could figure out how to do this post! How do I do the emergency post?!

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    State vet schools aren't expensive. At least not as expensive as possibly losing your whole flock and possibly the next one you install not knowing exactly what's wrong.

I thought some of my chickens had worms. Rather than prophylactically treating for worms, I had a fecal sample read. They had no worms but the bacteria clostridia which needed tetracycline. I would have prolonged their misery and possibly lost a lot of birds.

Then I had a very sick hen. After separating her I considered an antibiotic but she had no symptoms other than lethargy.
    I took her to the vet school to be euthanized and examined. She had cancer. I would have prolonged her misery and unnecessarily treated my other birds. It was a relief to know there was no disease in my flocks.

It was about $55 each time.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  10. Lau Lau

Lau Lau New Egg

Jun 26, 2014
    She did not make it. I couldn't get her to drink. :( I am so upset. :( Thanks for advice and compliment on my avatar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by