Help! Sick chicks- could it be Merricks Disease????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Happy Day Farm, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Happy Day Farm

Happy Day Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    We have 2 baryard bantam chicks that are about 10 weeks old. They both became very weak suddenly about 3 weeks ago. We thought they had gotten stepped on by our pygmy goats but they seemed to only worsen. We took them to a local vet on Friday and she suspects that they have a B2 deficiency. We had already given them 2 B2 injections and we have been putting a vitamin supplement in their water. The vet suggested another B complex injection for each and to wait 3 days and see what happens. They are not improving. We have to put their food and water right up to their faces. They cannot move other than to occasionally pivot. They do seem more alert today but physically I don't see any improvement. My husband did some on line research tonight and they look just like chickens with Merricks disease. Their legs are flopped out to the sides or in a V in front of them. They tip over easily too. Its sad but we are having a hard time euthanizing them when we aren't 100% sure they cannot be treated. Not to mention that our chickens are our pets and we have 3 little girls that want to keep trying. Are you prolonging the inevitable? Do you think they will heal or be physically handicapped forever? Please respond if you know. We really need help!!! We love these little guys but do not want to see them suffer.

2. tamelroy

tamelroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    I found this in my search for my birds and kept it, you could always try where you have little girls involved before killing the chickens.
    I don't know if it really works, cuz mine didn't have mereks they were posioned. Good luck!

THIS WAS ON THIS SITE NOT TOO LONG AGO I HOPE IT HELPS

- 1 tablespoon of DISTILLED water per tablet Hypericum (must be distilled water, tap water is ionized and will deactivate the Hypericum)
    - MUST be mixed in a GLASS or PLASTIC bowl (metal with react with the water and herb)
    - drip 5-10 drops (bantam) or 10-15 drops (large fowl) on the afflicted bird's tongue. Be sure the bird rubs its beak together because the Hypericum MUST touch the sinuses (located on the roof of the mouth) in order to work
    - treat every 12 hours (morning and night) with a fresh batch
    - recovery may be as quick as 1 day or as slow as several months

The treatment works best if you begin treating early. If you delay treatment, the Hypericum may not work or it may be a very slow recovery. IF YOU OVERDOSE YOUR BIRDS ON HYPERICUM, don't worry. The bird will exhibit extreme symptoms, and make a drastic improvment within a 24 hours. Hypericum is also helpful for pain. Only treat birds that are showing symptoms.

HOW CAN I TELL IF MY BIRD HAS MAREK'S DISEASE?

Check your flock history. Marek's Disease affects birds as early as 6 months of age. Symtoms occur most commonly between 6-8 months of age; however, any age bird can become sick, it just becomes less common with age. The incubation period is 2 weeks.

SYMPTOMS INCLUDE: sudden death (fairly common), depression (common), gradual weight loss (fairly common), neck paralysis (not common), paleness (in conjunction with other symtoms), wing paralysis (common), leg paralysis (most common), star-gazing (fairly common), extreme sudden emaciation (rare), mishapen pupil (not common), gray iris (not common), crazy behavior (rare), unresponsive (common), internal tumor growth (not common), tumors on feather follicles (not common), fearful (not common)

3. Happy Day Farm

Jun 14, 2010
    We have 40 chickens. We had 2 die last week suddenly with no prior symptoms. Do you think it could be Merricks? The 2 chicks have paralysis of the legs and tip over but don't seem to have the other symptoms except possibly depression. They have had it for 2-3 weeks with noticeable symptoms. Do you think its too late to treat?

Here's the big question....we have close to 40 other chickens including 10 young chicks. If it is Merricks, is it contagious?

How can you tell the difference between a B2 deficiency and Merricks?

4. tamelroy

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
  5. Happy Day Farm

Jun 14, 2010
    OK I looked on line and the B2 deficiency looks like a match. They both have the curled toes consistent with B2/Riboflavin deficiencies. I am wondering if they will recover this far progressed or if we are prolonging their suffering???

6. tamelroy

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
  7. tamelroy

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    I have two small boys, and with us I try first, but that is up to you. This summer my neighbor posioned our birds (I know it is her, just can't prove it) Any way like you I went from one thing to another. I was only able to save one, but that one meant the world to the kids. I exercised her legs myself, kind of like physical therapy, lol and she is fine. Maybe give it some more time, to me at least w/my kids they except they dying when I give it my all to save them, but the oldest never likes the idea of killing them. If you decide to do it maybe tell the kids they just died. This is a hard thing when it is pets and children. Everyone has different views some will say they (children) have to learn, but to me as a mom I try to protect them from the hurt as long as I can.

8. Cuccismith

Cuccismith Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2014
    South Jersey
    Oh my god I just read this and it's many years later... I am sickened by the poisoning story! How horrible.
    I was just reading about Merricks as I think my broody girl has come down with it : (
    Hope you have new chickens and one less neighbor!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by