Help sick Chook - very pale comb and keep closing eyes and laying down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kharbourn, Dec 1, 2012.

1. kharbourn

kharbourn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Overnight might light sussex has become ill. Does anyone know what it could be. It has a very light comb and very light skin around its eyes, she is shutting her eyes a light and laying down a lot. I am about to bring her away from the rest of the chooks and give her some apple cidar white and should i do something with molasses too. Does anyone know what it could be, she doesnt free range.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Pale comb is from dehydration. Make sure she drinks lots, and keeps eating. Shutting her eyes means shes in pain. How is her breathing? Her poop? is her tail up or down. Runny nose? with these i can help you further.

3. chichichickapea

chichichickapea Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Had one like that with her tail down...ended up being egg bound...yeah, she did not make it......

4. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    well if it is egg bound.. try putting oil up there... also putting her in a warm bath.

5. chichichickapea

chichichickapea Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    I tried all of that but she was like that several days before it clicked with me that something was seriously wrong....hopefully you have caught it in time to successfully intervene.

6. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Do bring her away from the flock, and bring her inside where it's warm -- heat helps sick birds a lot. Give all the birds apple cider vinegar for at least the next three days at the rate of 4 teaspoons to the gallon (but not in galvanized metal containers). Read through the link at the bottom of this post -- diagnosing diseases based upon symptoms -- not just to identify her specifically, but to help recognize other symptoms that may have been overlooked.

>> peck here << for an excellent article on egg-binding, just in case that's what is goin' on w/ her ... hope this helps, and that she gets better ~'-)

7. kharbourn

kharbourn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Thank you for the information,. She seemed to be better this afternoon so lets see what tomorrow brings.

8. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Good to know ... hopefully, she continues to improve ~'-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by