HELP...sick deformed Brahma...UPDATE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pgpoultry, Oct 23, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I've been very, very lucky where illness is concerned, but now I have a real problem.

Bluey is a 25 week old Blue Partridge Brahma....but she is different,,,,one wing hangs down, no tail, twisted spine. I noticed this within days of hatching, so obviously a congenital deformity, and never had this problem before or since. Anyway Bluey has been fit if a little small up until two days ago...flies, runs well etc.....when I noticed she was not eating.(Drinking fine).

There's nothing to go on at all...breathing fine, eyes bright, no discharge, crop pretty empty, no injuries. More bunched up than normal, not eating, staying in the hedge. Little poo....just uric acid (thick white). It could be that her internal organs are deformed, too....so may not be a remediable problem....but anyone got any theories?
    I can post a pic if it helps, but she doesn't look normal ever.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    If her spine is crooked it could be the older she gets it twists different organs in her body. For instance scoliosis can cause other health problems besides having a crooked spine. I would wonder about pressure on her stomach or gut. I would try some tasty soft foods to see if she will eat. If she is of laying age that might be the problem. She may be having some female problems. That is all I can think of.
    Good luck.

3. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I was wondering the same about pressure symptoms. She is not laying yet and her face is very pink, so I don't think it's going to be a problem of eggs getting blocked mechanically in her reproductive system.

I have isolated her from all the others and nobody else seems to be ill at all.

For what it is worth a picture
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    It is a deficiency like crooked neck... look it up... it is treatable with vitamins...

5. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi, I don't think it's a deficiency as she gets vitaminised food, plus is a free ranger.

Here is a picture of her (on the right) 2 days ago
    [​IMG]

Her neck is fine, it is the region of her spine around the back/bottom area that is twisted and it has been about the same since hatching. The picture that I took this morning is a bit deceptive as she has her head tucked in, but her neck movements are absolutely fine.

thanks for the help.

6. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    An update...she has passed some liquid brown poop and eaten a little corn and porridge oats, but remains bunched up and withdrawn

7. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    2 days on and my bunched-up, tailless friend is well again.

I have no real idea what was wrong with her, but bought her inside and I watched her eat and drink very little for 36 hours, looking very ill and withdrawn.I checked her over pretty carefully....she feels light for her size, but her vent was clear, no injuries, eyes bright, no upper respiratory symptoms. She just was passing infrequent watery brown poo.

So 2 nights indoors, then I got very early, switched on the light, and over she sauntered for food. A good crop full and several normal poos later and she started to cluck and walk about. i let her out and she immediately went over to her two friends. Since then she has behaved pretty normally....she is not a dominant bird, but she sent my juvenile Naked Necks scattering when the treats came out. She spent last night out in the coop between her two best buddies and is behaving normally ever since. Maybe she ate something that upset her gut....whatever, I have her twisted little blue butt back.

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Awwww - just seeing this thread and read anxiously to your last post and am so glad she is doing better!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your TLC no doubt a huge comfort to her. [​IMG]
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by