help, sick duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducksluvchicks, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ducksluvchicks

ducksluvchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2013
    About a week ago my duck began breathing heavy. He was acting normal so i thought i would watch him. The next day he was breathing fine. Two days ago he started breathing heavy again and sneezing a little. Again this morning the breathing didnt sound too bad. Hes still eating great and playing, being responsive. I live in michigan and its been below 0 wind chill for awhile so hes been in my garage mostly (with my other ducks and chickens) i was letting him out to free range for most or at least half of the day but when its under 20, i keep the ducks in. Its ventalated and i change there pen every other day. None of my other ducks or chickens are sick. I did make him a vet appointment but they cant see him ntil monday. Im just worried and i dont want him to go downhill quickly although hes acting fine now.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you smell ammonia in your garage? breathing that in can cause respiratory issues. even changing out litter it can happen quick depending on how many animals you have in there. I'd put some ACV into their drinking water 1-2 Tab. to 1 gallon of water he'll wash his face also and it is a great way to kill off bacteria and also will help flush out dust. it's good for all poultry and works as a tonic for sick as well as healthy birds. fresh air is great so if you can let them out in the warmest part of the day which may not be warm to us but breathing in the fresh air will be good for all of them. also be sure to check if there could be anything in your garage that might be letting off fumes of some kind, birds are much more sensitive to smells that we are. Hopefully it's just the dust but if he is still having issues after doing all of this then I'd go ahead and get him to the vet Monday. you didn't say how old? if under 6 weeks might be best to keep them inside.

3. ducksluvchicks

Sep 19, 2013
    Thanks so much! I don think there could be anything giving off fumes... but ill definitly look around. Ill let them out for a short bit this afternoon and pick up avc tablets. Is that apple cider vinegar? He was born end of september so hes about 4 months old now. Thanks so much for your suggestions and quick response !!!:D

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I've never heard of ACV tablets. I usually buy the gallon jugs of it or the unpasteurized quarts at the grocery store and yes apple cider vinegar. keep us updated please. if he takes a turn downward he may need antibiotics but that would be last resort. another thing I like to keep on hand is Oxine ah, bummer is it has to be ordered on line but I have a link I can give you with info if you ever want to think about getting some.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    When Miss Lydia writes tabs, she generally is abbreviating tablespoons. So the liquid apple cider vinegar is the stuff.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh my gosh Amiga thank you. [​IMG]

7. ducksluvchicks

Sep 19, 2013
    Thanks!:D

8. ducksluvchicks

Sep 19, 2013
    Its negative 21 degrees with wind chill. Is it iok to still let my ducks outside to play? Or should i maybe just crack the garage door for some fresh air...? Ughh no wonder if he is sick:(

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe just some fresh air, that doesn't sound like the kind of temps they'd enjoy anyway. But water fowl are hardy and can handle alot more than we give them credit. The wind is what hard on them and us. I have made wind breaks out of scrap lumber for mine to hunker down behind.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  10. ducksluvchicks

Sep 19, 2013
    Will do. Thanks again for the quick reply !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by