Help! Sick flock

Silver42

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2023
I am in need of some help, I can’t figure out what is wrong with my flock. My hens are 3 years old. Our favorite girl Fatty Patty got sick a month ago. We noticed she wasn’t laying, diarrhea, eventually bloody/yellowish diarrhea died within a week. I suspected vent gleet, and started with epson soaks and Monistat. I accepted that I didn’t catch it quick enough, and that is why she died. Fast forward to this week all but, one of my hens have the start of dirty butts. A little bit of white dripping on butts. Everyone was laying normally until, last weekend. I am only getting eggs from 2 hens right now. Yesterday someone laid an egg on poop board, overnight. Last night someone layed just a yolk on poop board. I dewormed the flock this spring. I have checked for mites/lice. I have started treating flock for vent gleet but, at this point with everyone being affected I’m not sure this is the problem. Any and all advice welcome, I do not have a chicken vet near me, so this is not an option.

I am in need of some help, I can’t figure out what is wrong with my flock. My hens are 3 years old. Our favorite girl Fatty Patty got sick a month ago. We noticed she wasn’t laying, diarrhea, eventually bloody/yellowish diarrhea died within a week. I suspected vent gleet, and started with epson soaks and Monistat. I accepted that I didn’t catch it quick enough, and that is why she died. Fast forward to this week all but, one of my hens have the start of dirty butts. A little bit of white dripping on butts. Everyone was laying normally until, last weekend. I am only getting eggs from 2 hens right now. Yesterday someone laid an egg on poop board, overnight. Last night someone layed just a yolk on poop board. I dewormed the flock this spring. I have checked for mites/lice. I have started treating flock for vent gleet but, at this point with everyone being affected I’m not sure this is the problem. Any and all advice welcome, I do not have a chicken vet near me, so this is not an option.
I'm sorry you lost Patty. I would definitely make sure your water has apple cider vinegar and honey (2 TBS/gallon of each) in it for your birds. The weather has been changing around most of the country and sometimes it'll throw off all the hens.

Your problem might be the same as Patty, or it might be on the heels of what happened with her, but either way a little boost in their water won't hurt them. There's also rooster booster or nutri-drench at tsc to add to water or food.

I would start them on corid first coccidosis. As @nuthatched said bloody poop is a good indicator of that.
You may be able to find a vet who will do a float test. Especially if you have a farm vet somewhere in the area.

Are they pale? Lethargic? Eating and drinking? Any runny eyes or gurgling?

I'm sorry you lost Patty. I would definitely make sure your water has apple cider vinegar and honey (2 TBS/gallon of each) in it for your birds. The weather has been changing around most of the country and sometimes it'll throw off all the hens.

Your problem might be the same as Patty, or it might be on the heels of what happened with her, but either way a little boost in their water won't hurt them. There's also rooster booster or nutri-drench at tsc to add to water or food.
/\/\/\/\/\
Please note, that if you have metal waterers, do not add add anything acidic to the water or it will cause the galvanized metal to leach and poison your birds.
You should always have a seperate waterer with fresh, plain water if you add anything to the water.
The acv must be raw, fermented and with the mother to be if any help, if it helps at all.

/\/\/\/\/\
Please note, that if you have metal waterers, do not add add anything acidic to the water or it will cause the galvanized metal to leach and poison your birds.
You should always have a seperate waterer with fresh, plain water if you add anything to the water.
The acv must be raw, fermented and with the mother to be if any help, if it helps at all.
The honey is because it's a really light version of an antibiotic, and it'll give a tiny bit of sugar which should give them a tiny bit more energy (which will help if they're not digesting food properly). The acv is because it helps make sure they have good probiotics. Greek yogurt will work too, for the same reason.
Rooster booster/nutri-drench add a lot of vitamins, which should all help *if the flock is just a little bit off*. None of this is a replacement for a targeted antibiotic, but it also won't hurt your flock no matter what else is going on.

I would start them on corid first coccidosis. As @nuthatched said bloody poop is a good indicator of that.
You may be able to find a vet who will do a float test. Especially if you have a farm vet somewhere in the area.

Are they pale? Lethargic? Eating and drinking? Any runny eyes or gurgling?
They were treated in March with corrid. Everyone is eating and drinking, active and foraging during the day. No signs of respiratory issues.

How much scratch do they get? What's the nutrition analysis of the feed? What's it made out of?
They get one scoop of scratch to 3 scoops of feed. It’s 16% layer, not sure on nutrition analysis I don’t have an empty bag. I started buying from Amish in the winter, the flock loves it.

Back
Top Bottom