HELP!! Sick fluffed up chick with neon green poop

korlia

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
South Africa
Please HELP!!

We have had a terrible heatwave the past week followed by cold weather and rain yesterday. Yesterday afternoon I noticed my one 4 week old chick standing in the coop, all puffed up. At first I thought it was the cold, when I opened them up yesterday afternoon to free range he was there with the rest doing all things that chicks do. This morning when I went to open them up again I could see he was all puffed up again and clearly not feeling well. He had his head drawn close to his body and standing with dropped wings and tail. I opened up and he went out with the rest but just there so I brought him inside. He was standing, eyes closed but still fluffed up. I got mealworms ( his favourite,) he ate about ten but didn't touch his other food. I went to inspect the coop and saw bright neon green watery poop stains in the nesting box where he sleeps with his mom and other chicks. He also made 3/4 bright green poops in the cage where I kept him inside. He is one of the bigger chicks, strong and healthy until yesterday.

I have read on here that it could be cocci, but I stay in South Africa and we don't have the same meds as you guys. I went to our farm store and they gave me meds called triple sulpha. I don't know if you also have it over there but it helps for cocci and flu. I have put it in his water. he didn't drink any water so I pulled up a bit in a syringe and injected it into his beak. He swallowed it.

He does not have any discharge from the nose or eyes. No trouble breathing, and no swelling near the face, neck or eyes. Later this afternoon I went back to check on him again and he has deteriorated fast. He is lying down, head on the floor of the cage, but when I come in he opens his eyes and his eyes seems alert. I offered him mealworms again, but this time he wasn't so keen on them. With a lot of encouragement he ate 4. I felt his crop and it feels as if it is full, although I am so new to this that I might be mistaken, but I felt the food all grainy in there and it feels full. Since this afternoon he is just laying down. No more poos no eating or drinking. I know he is going to die. What is wrong with him??

ANY help would really be so much appreciated! I am sad, because I can see that he is not going to make it and scared because I don't know what is wrong with him and scared that whatever he has is going to make all my other chickens ill. Our vet in town does not really know anything about chickens. I have previously taken a hen of mine to him and it was a waste of money.

I have gotten an antiseptic at our farm store and washed the coop with it ( they stay in a chicken tractor) and so far the others all still seem fine.

PLEASE HELP! I feel so stupid not knowing what is wrong and so helpless not knowing what to do...
hit.gif

I agree that it is probably coccidiosis, and the sulfa drug should help. We use more amprollium in the US, but sulfa will work against the 2 most severe strains of cocci. You will really need to get the drug into him, or he will not make it. Just keep your brooder dry with fresh litter, and keep the waterers and feeders free of poop be raising them to shoulder level of the chicks. Add some medicated water to the feed also, in hopes they will eat.

I feel so incompetent!! Its didficult to be new to this chicken business...Our little guy passed away during the night....

Thanks for all your advice eggcesive, I am going to raise the feeders and waterer.
Did add meds to the water yesterday. They all still seem fine so far....

I would not feel bad. You are doing well recognizing illness and getting help. I hope all your chicks do well. If can get some amprollium at some time, it would be good to keep on the shelf for future chicks.

I would not feel bad. You are doing well recognizing illness and getting help. I hope all your chicks do well. If can get some amprollium at some time, it would be good to keep on the shelf for future chicks.
Thanks for all the advice Eggcessive, I will definitely try to get hold of some!!

Back
Top Bottom