Help sick guinea fowl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fatsu, Jul 3, 2010.

1. fatsu

fatsu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    As i was tending to the flock this morning i noticed one of my 4-5 week old guinea fowl was doing the bob and weave that a sick chick would do. Normally in this situation i would give hard boiled egg and sugar water. . they have been doing great for weeks and siblings seems to be doing well just this one lone guy having issues. My question is will the hard boiled egg/sugar water regimen help guinea as well or is there something else i could do? I am streaming my sick guinea cam at

http://tinychat.com/guineasos

[​IMG]

1) Guinea fowl , 4-5 weeks
    2) hard time standing somewhat labored breathing
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? started today or overnight
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma? None visible. Holding wings out but no injury apprent
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I've had it isolated for about 30 min not eating or drinking thus far
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. isolated about 30 min no stole yet which seems odd.
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? hard boiled egg and sugar water
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Home treatment preferred
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. 260 gallon feed trough pine chips for beding

any help would be great thanks.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. fatsu

Jul 3, 2010
    bump for the guineas sake

3. fatsu

Jul 3, 2010
    Any Ideas?

4. fatsu

Jul 3, 2010
    so it looks like he has a broken wing. its not broken in the shoulder area but rather what would be our elbow. not sure what that is on a bird. the joint nearest the wing tip. I have splinted the wing and wrapped him up. hes eating and drinking but won't walk. I don't know if this is a balance issue or something else. In your guys opinion should i give him a chance or do you think it is suffering. Is there anything else i can do for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by