Help! Sick hen and not sure what to do!

abail

Hatching
Feb 14, 2022
A couple of days ago I started to notice our one hen was not acting right. First sign I noticed was her droppings and they would run down/get stuck on her feathers behind her butt. Then yesterday some of my chickens started to gang up on her and started pecking at her. She just stood there and didn't move, so I did take out the hen and separated her to monitor if she was actually sick. Today I noticed her becoming a little more lethargic, she still is a little alert but her feathers are all puffed and her comb is pale and shriveled. She is eating treats, I've been giving her some mealworms, watermelon and blackberries. I noticed she's not drinking as much water and she hasn't laid since the fall (which is pretty normal for her to go winter without laying). These are what her droppings have been looking like, more of the liquid side. I'm not sure what to do! We do still have her separated from the flock.

Attachments

• IMG_6493.jpeg
    IMG_6493.jpeg
    822 KB · Views: 15
The yellow mustard color of part of the dropping could be reproductive infection or liver disease. How old is she? What does she eat? Is she eating and drinking today? Is her tail up or down?
She's about 3 years old now. And we feed our flock just layer feed crumbles. Today she's been eating and drinking (not drinking a lot though). Today I've given her a couple of mealworms and watermelon and blackberries. She was inhaling the blackberries. Her feathers are fluffed out a little more than usual and her tail is up at the moment, but earlier. today her tail was down. I feel like I'm going crazy trying to figure out whats going on with her. Her comb still has color but is on the paler side.

This was a picture of her from this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_6500.jpeg
    IMG_6500.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 9
Do you have a vet you could see or get some antibiotics, such as amoxicillin or Baytril (enrofloxacin?) Amoxicillin is found as Aqua Mox for fish, and dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day for 10 days. Enrofloxacin 10% can be found online as well, and although it is banned for chickens in the US, some vets do still prescribe it for reproductive infections and E.coli. Does she have any enlargement or swelling of her lower belly down between her legs?

Do you have a vet you could see or get some antibiotics, such as amoxicillin or Baytril (enrofloxacin?) Amoxicillin is found as Aqua Mox for fish, and dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day for 10 days. Enrofloxacin 10% can be found online as well, and although it is banned for chickens in the US, some vets do still prescribe it for reproductive infections and E.coli. Does she have any enlargement or swelling of her lower belly down between her legs?
I could call my local vet tomorrow and see if she would be able to see us or have any recommendations. And no I did not notice any swelling. She definitely lost weight just based off how light she is when I do pick her up.

Back
Top Bottom