HELP sick hen, dead rooster, (Milky watery POOP!!!!)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoldenSparrow, Jun 24, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Infectious Bronchitis
    Synonyms: IB, bronchitis, cold

Species affected: Infectious bronchitis is a disease of chickens only. A similar disease occurs in bobwhite quail (quail bronchitis), but it is caused by a different virus.

Clinical signs: The severity of infectious bronchitis infection is influenced by the age and immune status of the flock, by environmental conditions, and by the presence of other diseases. Feed and water consumption declines. Affected chickens will be chirping, with a watery discharge from the eyes and nostrils, and labored breathing with some gasping in young chickens. Breathing noises are more noticeable at night while the birds rest. Egg production drops dramatically. Production will recover in 5 or 6 weeks, but at a lower rate. The infectious bronchitis virus infects many tissues of the body, including the reproductive tract (see Table 1 ). Eggshells become rough and the egg white becomes watery. (See publication PS-24, Egg Quality, for other causes of poor egg quality.)

Transmission: Infectious bronchitis is a very contagious poultry disease. It is spread by air, feed bags, infected dead birds, infected houses, and rodents. The virus can be egg-transmitted, however, affected embryos usually will not hatch.

Treatment: There is no specific treatment for infectious bronchitis. Antibiotics for 3-5 days may aid in combating secondary bacterial infections. Raise the room temperature 5°F for brooding-age chickens until symptoms subside. Baby chicks can be encouraged to eat by using a warm, moist mash.

Prevention: Establish and enforce a biosecurity program. Vaccinations are available.

what if my chickens have this, is there anthing I can do??
    a year and a half ago one of my hens got very sick, she stoped laying eggs, I thought she would die, but she lived. and latter when she started laying eggs again. they were always thin shelled. also she now lays once a WEEK if that!

about a three month ago, my rooster stared the chirping, the watery eyes, labored breathing, and the gasping. a month later he died. [​IMG]

now the hen that got sick in the begining seems not normal. her eggs are paper thin, she lays them like poop, and she stands around alot. [​IMG]

We have a TON of chipmunks living under the coop. [​IMG]
    I am working on getting the rodents to leave.

1 Could they have this??
    2 what should I do? ( I love them dearly, and WILL NOT cull them)
    3[can I save my birds. the other chickens I have seem fine. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    4 we are in the middle of hatching chicks, should I get them vaccinated for this? and if so how?

Thank you all so much.​

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It is very hard to know what they had or have, as chickens illness can overlap with symptoms. Best way would be to have your Dept of Ag test your birds, although some tests would require a necropsy. As far as treatment... the rooster sounds like he may have had a respiratory illness. Many of these viruses are contagious, spread easily many ways and affected birds become carriers. Some can look fine for months or always but carry it. As for the hen with thin eggs, it could be many things. If she's not showing any symptoms she may need more calcium in her diet for the thin shells. If she is pooing out egg material it could an infection in her internal laying tract which would require a antibiotic . If she's never been wormed, parasites can cause them to get weak and thus affect egg production.....
    I hope you find your answers. I would wash everything down with bleach or buy a product called Oxine and wash down everything with that. I would keep your older hen separated from your young ones always, or until you know the cause of her problems. Always handle suspicious birds last.

3. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    Thank you so much,
    my hen seem slower then normal.
    I am going to wipe it all down with bleach. should I add water to it, or do you use just bleach?

if the hen is a carrier, what does that mean exactly?
    is it bad if there carriers

we are going to keep the chicks with there mother hen, in the coop, will this be bad?
    should I vaccinate the chicks? if so what? and how ?

Thank you very very much.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  4. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Quote:x2 get the necropsy or you will never know what you are dealing with. It is free in lots of places and pretty cheap others. There are vaccines available for these illnesses, but you HAVE to know exactly what you have going on. There are too many possibilities to try and guess. Once you have a diagnosis you can call peter brown with www.firststatevetsupply.com for the vaccines and more information about them. Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    should I let the all chipmunks stay under the coop?
    there always near the chickens.

6. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    One of the main symptoms of IB is eggs with shells that appear wrinkled. For a good confirmation though get a necropsy done as the others have said.

Do not put a dead bird in the freezer. It can destroy organisms needed to make a determination on cause of death.

Call the state lab and ask them how they would like the bird prepared.

7. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    IB can appear dramatic but doesn't usually cause fatalities. It moves fast through a whole flock, and I would expect the entire flock to be sick and get better again within about 2 weeks. When sick they do seem very unwell, with a lot of rattles/rales, but except for wrinkly eggs it usually passes without complication (unless there's other underlying disease).

I had an IB carrier flock and it's no fun, but I never lost a bird.

I would definitely be looking at necropsy or asking a vet for advice.

Best of luck,
    Erica

8. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    only one of my hens is sick, she seems mopey, but her tail is up. she stands in one place alot. she just seems not herself. (slow like)

the others are fine.
    what should I do? I did not sepurate her from the others.

What is a carrier?
    is it bad to have on in your flock?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  9. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Please try not to worry. I used to worry a TON when we first had chickens, watching for any sign of sickness, reading all the horrible possibilities on-line (most of which will never occur). I have lots of local chicken friends now too, and we joke about how much time we spent worrying when we first had chickens. Some chickens are just not as healthy as others, just like with people. I wouldn't do anything if I were you, honestly. I would just wait and see what happens with the new chicks, if they get sick later. Add a little crushed garlic to their food to boost the immune system. If the babies ever get chicken-bugs such as lice or mites(which can kill the babies), used a drop of neem oil on the back of the neck and under the tail, and the bugs will be gone in 3 days time. It's not necessary to use chemicals or vaccines with backyard chickens. In huge flocks they do it because they have a huge amount of $ invested and more chance of disease with birds in awful conditions.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  10. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    TinyBirds
    Please try not to worry. I used to worry a TON when we first had chickens, watching for any sign of sickness, reading all the horrible possibilities on-line (most of which will never occur). I have lots of local chicken friends now too, and we joke about how much time we spent worrying when we first had chickens. Some chickens are just not as healthy as others, just like with people. I wouldn't do anything if I were you, honestly. I would just wait and see what happens with the new chicks, if they get sick later. Add a little crushed garlic to their food to boost the immune system. If the babies ever get chicken-bugs such as lice or mites(which can kill the babies), used a drop of neem oil on the back of the neck and under the tail, and the bugs will be gone in 3 days time. It's not necessary to use chemicals or vaccines with backyard chickens. In huge flocks they do it because they have a huge amount of $ invested and more chance of disease with birds in awful conditions.

Thank you TinyBirds. your kind words have made me feel much better [​IMG]
    I am giving her Vitamins & electrolytes, to boost her up. I think it may help her.

thank you all very much. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by