1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!! Sick hen...lethargic/liquidy yellow poop...happened overnight!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CityChickenMama, Jul 24, 2013.

1. CityChickenMama

CityChickenMama New Egg

May 6, 2013
    Hello, all!! I am hoping you can help me out here. I posted to my local chickener group on Facebook, called a feed store, and called the vet, and no one has been able to help me.

When I went to feed the girls this morning, I noticed that one of my Barred Rocks was laying on the ground looking very lethargic. She did not seem the least bit interested in food. I felt around her abdomen/vent for possible egg binding, but felt nothing. They are given oyster shells in addition to their feed, so I was already doubtful this is what was wrong.

I have been monitoring her for the last 2 hours or so, and just released them into the run. She went out into the run, so she is at least walking, but she is very slow. I had the opportunity to see her poop, and it doesn't look good...it's very watery, and a yellowish color...almost like a runny yolk. Is there a possibility an egg could have broken inside of her?

Someone in my local chicken group mentioned Marek's...she was vaccinated for this, although from my understanding it is possible for them to still get it. However, she is over a year old, and the other girls all are fine, so I am doubtful about that.

What do you all think? Is there anything I can do for her? I am so worried!!! She is very dear to me. Thanks in advance!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hopefully she's not an internal layer...bad news. In any case, your immediate concern would be a bacterial infection due to a shelless egg or broken egg inside her.
    I recommend a vinegar/water flush, like a douche to prevent bacterial infection.
    Use a large syringe without a needle, mixing 1 tablespoon of WHITE vinegar to 1 quart of water. Use a syringeful of the mixture and insert the syringe into her vent and gently flush. Use 3 or 4 syringefuls, the liquid may or may not flow out of her vent afterwards.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It could be so many things. Yes, an egg occasionaly breaks inside a hen. Internal layers also can have poop changes like that. I don't see anything in a couple of articles about Marek's that would make me think it would be ther problem. If you have never given them a chemical wormer, especilally if you live in a warmer, wet area like I do, I would also consider worms. Your vet may be willing to do a fecal, not an expensive test, to screen for worms. I'll give you a coupe of links that might help. I hope she gets better.

http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0 (graphic poop pics)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ll-seeing-live-worms-in-poo/0_20#post_9315842

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...faverolle-hen-internal-layer-please-help/0_20

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would do anything dawg53 recommended!

5. CityChickenMama

CityChickenMama New Egg

May 6, 2013
    Thank you so much!! I just ran by Tractor Supply, and the largest syringe they had was 20 mL...is this large enough? Should I use 3 or 4 syringefuls of the 20 mL? I'm going to give her a warm bath and then do what you suggested. I also got her some vitamins/electrolytes. Poor baby!

6. CityChickenMama

CityChickenMama New Egg

May 6, 2013
    Thank you for that! That is what is stressing me out...like you said, it could be a lot of different things! It's comforting to hear you don't think it's Marek's either. I did not see worms in her poop but sometimes they aren't visible, right? Unfortunately, my vet is not available right now :( She's the only one in the area who sees chickens as far as I know. I appreciate your advice/links!

7. CityChickenMama

CityChickenMama New Egg

May 6, 2013
    Okay, so I gave her a warm bath, massaged her vent, and did the vinegar cleanse. Also gave her an electrolyte solution. She seems perkier but she pooped another abnormal poop again...took a photo, if that helps, but it is very similar to the "abnormal poo" #3 on the link you gave me...would it hurt to give her a wormer? If it will help, what kind should I get and where can I get it? Tractor Supply? Thanks!

8. CityChickenMama

CityChickenMama New Egg

May 6, 2013
    Okay, so I gave her a warm bath, massaged her vent, and did the vinegar cleanse. Also gave her an electrolyte solution. She seems perkier but she pooped another abnormal poop again...took a photo, if that helps, but it is very similar to the "abnormal poo" #3 on the link you gave me...would it hurt to give her a wormer? If it will help, what kind should I get and where can I get it? Tractor Supply? Thanks!

Sorry for posting this twice...I'm bad with this technology stuff! lol

9. Mitchell Farm22

Mitchell Farm22 New Egg

Mar 20, 2016
    Hi, I have he same problem with one of my Barred Rocks. Did this treatment work for you? IF not, do you have any additional suggestions? She still has some life in her so I am hoping I can do something fast. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by