Help! Sick hen! Picked her up and ton of smelly liquid poured out of mouth

shannon84

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
My hen has been acting off about a week now not moving lethargic and its gotten to wear i have to pick her up to put her in the coop at night. I just picked her up tons of bad smelling liquid poured out of her mouth. I thought she had mereks but is this sour crop?? What do I do?

How old is your hen? Do you know when she last laid? Reproductive problems are not uncommon in hens, especially over the age of two and can cause slowed or stopped digestion, which can cause the crop to not empty. Also could be an impaction somewhere, what do her droppings look like? Do you feel any bloat, firmness or hardness, in her belly, or does it feel like it's filled with fluid? Feel below the vent between the legs.

How old is your hen? Do you know when she last laid? Reproductive problems are not uncommon in hens, especially over the age of two and can cause slowed or stopped digestion, which can cause the crop to not empty. Also could be an impaction somewhere, what do her droppings look like? Do you feel any bloat, firmness or hardness, in her belly, or does it feel like it's filled with fluid? Feel below the vent between the legs.
She's around 4 years old now her laying days have been over a long time. She didn't seem bloated . She has very watery droppings. Ill have to feel her belly again if she's still alive. I feel horrible for her. Its amazing I have one hen who is around 6 or 7 years old and healthy as can be. I didnt realize how short a laying hens life can be.

Foul smelling stuff pouring out of her mouth is your best clue for sour crop. The biggest thing you can do is try to flush it out with fluids, add some ACV w the mother. You want to prevent yeast from growing in there because once it does things get ugly. If you have a vet that will see chickens you might consider taking her in. Sour crop is not fun to deal with.

Sour crop is often the result of another condition causing the problem. When the crop doesn't empty and the contents sit in there, bacteria grow and sour crop happens. So, yes, treat for it, but it may not resolve without fixing whatever the underlying cause is. Crop issues can be frustrating. Here are two good articles, which may help in narrowing it down some. Vet care is always the best option if it's an option for you. For many that do not have access to good avian care, or in some cases any vet at all that will try, home remedies are all we have to try. If you are seeing only watery droppings with little or no solids, then there may be a blockage somewhere, could be disease, foreign object, internal parasites, etc. Covered well in the first article below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Sour crop is often the result of another condition causing the problem. When the crop doesn't empty and the contents sit in there, bacteria grow and sour crop happens. So, yes, treat for it, but it may not resolve without fixing whatever the underlying cause is. Crop issues can be frustrating. Here are two good articles, which may help in narrowing it down some. Vet care is always the best option if it's an option for you. For many that do not have access to good avian care, or in some cases any vet at all that will try, home remedies are all we have to try. If you are seeing only watery droppings with little or no solids, then there may be a blockage somewhere, could be disease, foreign object, internal parasites, etc. Covered well in the first article below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Ok I read on the link you posted that womens yeast infection cream is also good for sour crop. So I bought some, I went out there to give it to her and she was still lethargic but atleast she was standing today and finally showed some interest in food actually. I smelled her beak area no bad oder so I didn't give her the cream. Instead I rubbed her crop. It didn't feel full. Her comb is finally looking more red instead of blue like the past few days. Her eyes look red to me though. Im confused by that. So did her vomit spell last night relieve whatever was going on you think? I know im not out of the woods completely with her.

She's still doing poorly, seems very disoriented has her eyes closed a lot and puffed up.. ive been giving her yeast cream and rubbing her crop. Giving her boiled eggs and coconut oil. Poor thing. Last resort is antibiotics in her water now.

Back
Top Bottom