1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elisabeth44, Oct 11, 2015.

1. elisabeth44

elisabeth44 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    My hen came out of the coop today and just hid under a bush she's vey tierd and will find a corner or a bush and just stand there. She's normally very social and energetic. Her wings are droopy her head is twitching I haven't seen her poop and she's eating but not drinking. I'm planning on going to the vet tomorrow but if someone knows anything I can do today to help her it would be appreciated I could really use some help

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    I hope your hen is better.

3. elisabeth44

Jun 12, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    Thank you. We took her to the vet and she is on antibiotics I really hope she makes it

4. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    What did the vet say was wrong with her? Hope the meds help. Please keep us posted.

5. elisabeth44

Jun 12, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    some sort of bacteria in her stomach that she may have got from wild bird poop. But there not sure. Thank u and I will

6. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    There's some very experienced people on here if you need them. Two crows, dawn, and enola just to name a few. There's also a lot of knowledge on the grannies gone and done it thread. I'm sure a lot of others on here as well. Any of us will be glad to help if you need us. I'm new to this so I'm not much help but I can find someone that's very knowledgeable if you need. Good luck with her.

7. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    How's your hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by