Help sick hen

keyani2124

Hatching
5 Years
May 17, 2014
Hi I have a sick hen. And don't know what else to do. For couple of days she has been really quiet. Not really moving. Just standing like a statue. Not eating. Rarely drinking. . She keeps moving her neck from side to side. And today she has had her mouth open a lot. I have checked her crop. All I feel is bone really. Incase it was impacted or sour crop. She has runny poo. Her comb is still bright red. Have given her pick up drops for lethargic or sick birds. But just don't know what else to do. I think we'll losing her.

Do you have a vet that would see her? Give her electrolytes and vitamins with a dropper, and offer her some chopped egg and tuna. Check inside her cent with one finger an inch or two for a stuck egg. She could have some thing blocking her gizzard, or some other problem. The neck movements really sound like an impacted crop. Can you feel other crops and check hers again? Even if no vet is an option, they usually can check some droppings for worms or coccidiosis. Feel her breast area for weight loss, and feel her lower belly for swelling. Has she laid eggs recently?

I have checked her crop and there is nothing in there. All I can feel are her bones. She hasn't layed any eggs for quite some time now. And she went through a period of laying soft shell eggs.. but she doesn't do any now. She has eaten a little bit of scrambled egg this morning but I will see how she is. And may take her to the vets tomorrow. Even though I don't get any answers really from them... she has had the poultry drops again this am for sick or lathargic hens. It's just really weird of the movements she does with her neck. Thanks for your message reply x

Back
Top Bottom