[ NOW A MEMORIAL ]

Missmaddymoo008

Chirping
Nov 27, 2020
* Update, removed previous stuff *
So my ray of sunshine has passed. I had raised her since she was a week old, and had bonded with her since. She sat near the entrance of her box, like she wanted to see me and say goodbye. She suddenly had her neck out, head down, and wings sprawled out. A few little clucks goodbye and she was gone. I thank everyone who has responded to this form. Have fun with the others in heaven my sunshine, Dixie.
[ photos below are now happy photos as a memorial ]

Attachments

• CBDD61C6-EA87-4FB8-9CD2-507849D99B54.jpeg
    CBDD61C6-EA87-4FB8-9CD2-507849D99B54.jpeg
    595.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 39EF6461-659D-46AD-AE78-7793105A10C8.jpeg
    39EF6461-659D-46AD-AE78-7793105A10C8.jpeg
    850.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 39451BE3-DECB-4E99-9B75-D20CAAD36CA9.jpeg
    39451BE3-DECB-4E99-9B75-D20CAAD36CA9.jpeg
    559.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 10DE3968-8883-496B-8A10-A0737E120997.jpeg
    10DE3968-8883-496B-8A10-A0737E120997.jpeg
    794 KB · Views: 2
  • 84EA6F56-E759-4722-A3FF-EC90C8DE3953.jpeg
    84EA6F56-E759-4722-A3FF-EC90C8DE3953.jpeg
    509.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 9F317425-2759-4018-A3F8-C243CA4B4B24.jpeg
    9F317425-2759-4018-A3F8-C243CA4B4B24.jpeg
    965.8 KB · Views: 2
  • B454D52A-2BF4-4094-A2DC-057AF7A7CC60.jpeg
    B454D52A-2BF4-4094-A2DC-057AF7A7CC60.jpeg
    501 KB · Views: 2
  • EFF3688A-D517-4791-AADF-9ED64C332EE4.jpeg
    EFF3688A-D517-4791-AADF-9ED64C332EE4.jpeg
    837 KB · Views: 2
  • B8A799F5-0557-4AC8-92C9-C27C05D2F14E.jpeg
    B8A799F5-0557-4AC8-92C9-C27C05D2F14E.jpeg
    443.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 7B3C94FB-FCE2-45DE-A854-47EF44B6A2B8.jpeg
    7B3C94FB-FCE2-45DE-A854-47EF44B6A2B8.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I made a recent post of my hen. But I got no answers so I’m making this again. My hen has been for 2 weeks, she is:
- hunched over
- not moving very much
- eyes closed most of time
- always wanting to lay down
- not eating or drinking on her own
- diharrea ( sometimes with a yellow pastey stuff )
- crop is all over the place, one day it’s all squishy and the next it’s hard, next it’s normal.
- comb is red but purple / black near edges
- hasn’t been laying that we know of

help, she is my baby. I don’t want to lose her. She’s my sunshine and the others and me would be heartbroken
Do you deworm your hens?
Did you check her for mites?
Make sure you check her for these, many things can cause hens to become legthargic
A purple comb indicates not enough air flow or blood flow. Hopefully an expert may help out as I never experienced this before

I looked at your other thread, so she's 3 years old?
Does her abdomen feel bloated, below the vent between the legs? Either water balloon like or very firm?
At her age I would suspect she's having reproductive problems. That can include infection like salpingitis, cancers, or internal laying. Sadly, reproductive problems are not uncommon in birds over the age of 2.

Do you deworm your hens?
Did you check her for mites?
Make sure you check her for these, many things can cause hens to become legthargic
A purple comb indicates not enough air flow or blood flow. Hopefully an expert may help out as I never experienced this before
We have recently started deworming our hens. Also we checked for mites, no sign anywhere.

I looked at your other thread, so she's 3 years old?
Does her abdomen feel bloated, below the vent between the legs? Either water balloon like or very firm?
At her age I would suspect she's having reproductive problems. That can include infection like salpingitis, cancers, or internal laying. Sadly, reproductive problems are not uncommon in birds over the age of 2.
We felt it BUT there is something in there. It feels like like an egg. It’s on the bottom of her left side of the abdomen. I can’t tell if it’s enlarged or not since I’ve never done it before but it seems ok. It’s more on the water balloon side than a super firm ( her abdomen not the thing in there ). Is there supposed to be something in there? I suppose not.

So it’s hard to say because im more knowledgeable about geese and know next to nothing about chickens, but if she were a goose I’d say looking at that dropping her liver is working pretty hard.
Liver problems can stem from a number of issues, toxins, tumors, problems with other organs, and improper diet, so it’s hard to say whats really going on without testing.
If a vet isn’t an option you can treat the issues symptomatically and hope for the best, some things you can do at home are:
Give denamarin for small dogs or milk thistle to calm the liver, morning and night.
Fresh Lemon or grapefruit juice in her water, to calm and protect the liver.
Dandelion extract or fresh dandelion greens to clear out any excess fluid and support the liver and kidneys.
Fresh dark berries to eat or crushed in her water if she won’t eat them, blackberries or blueberries preferably for their high antioxidants.
Lily of the desert aloe detox or fresh aloe gel (don’t feed the skin) to cleanse the liver.

Mainly these are things to support and help the liver to heal, they do have a broader cleansing and healing effect in the whole body, though the issue may likely not solely be a liver problem and the liver is just reacting to another issue.

I don’t know if any of this will help you but I hope she recovers and has many more years with you.

The lump could be a tumor, infectious material, etc. If vet care is an option then some imaging might answer that. When they get fluid it's usually from a heart or liver that is over taxed. It's called ascites, and it's a secondary symptom of something else going on, like cancer or organ failure or infection. I have used the Lily of the Desert Aloe detox on my birds and for some of them it did give some relief and fluid retention goes down for a while. The underling condition will still be there, so it will likely recur. Whether it helps or not depends on what is actually going on and how advanced it is. Usually when a bird gets to the point of ascites most treatments will at most buy them some time if they are effective at all. It's entirely up to you how much time and effort you want to put into your bird. When my birds show these symptoms I leave them with the flock as long as they are eating and drinking and acting fairly normal, albeit a bit slower. Once they go off food and water, isolate themselves, or get attacked by flock mates, I euthanize. I've lost birds to cancers and infections like salpingitis, fatty liver disease, etc. The symptoms can look very similar and often you don't know for sure until a necropsy is done. I'm sorry, none of that is probably what you want to hear. :hugs

So it’s hard to say because im more knowledgeable about geese and know next to nothing about chickens, but if she were a goose I’d say looking at that dropping her liver is working pretty hard.
Liver problems can stem from a number of issues, toxins, tumors, problems with other organs, and improper diet, so it’s hard to say whats really going on without testing.
If a vet isn’t an option you can treat the issues symptomatically and hope for the best, some things you can do at home are:
Give denamarin for small dogs or milk thistle to calm the liver, morning and night.
Fresh Lemon or grapefruit juice in her water, to calm and protect the liver.
Dandelion extract or fresh dandelion greens to clear out any excess fluid and support the liver and kidneys.
Fresh dark berries to eat or crushed in her water if she won’t eat them, blackberries or blueberries preferably for their high antioxidants.
Lily of the desert aloe detox or fresh aloe gel (don’t feed the skin) to cleanse the liver.

Mainly these are things to support and help the liver to heal, they do have a broader cleansing and healing effect in the whole body, though the issue may likely not solely be a liver problem and the liver is just reacting to another issue.

I don’t know if any of this will help you but I hope she recovers and has many more years with you.
Awe thank you. You’ve helped so much.

Back
Top Bottom