Help! Sick hen

n1st

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
My chicken, Melissa, is acting very strange. She isn't as active as the other chickens, she drinks alot of water for a while, I just noticed her comb getting pale and droopy today, and she isn't laying, either. She's eating, but she seems kind of light (she might always have been like that, though). She started getting "depressed" a few weeks ago. What is this and how do I treat it? She's a 3-year-old sex-link.

Thanks for any help

When was the last time they were wormed and for what kind of parasites? Also check for external parasites.

I would have asked the same as Robin..worms, parasites, etc. What do her stools look like? This is often a good indicator when something is going wrong.

Jody

We've never wormed our chickens before. Her stool looks dark brown with a little white and is diarhea. If she has worms, what kind of wormer do you think would be the best for her?

Thanks for your help

To know for certain what parasites your dealing with collect droppings from two or three places, make certain you get some from the girl who isn't well. Keep them as clean as possible and take to your vet. They can look under a microscope and identify what is going on.

I would certainly start with Wazine for round worms until you know what you're dealing with. Wazine does only round worms, other wormers deal with other internal parasites.

Back
Top Bottom