1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Smartodam, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Smartodam

Smartodam New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Hello - this is my first post. I need some help with an 8 month old BO. 4 weeks ago, Blanche had a moderately impacted crop. She just stood in a corner of the run with her feathers all puffed up - wouldn't eat or drink. I ended up bringing her to the vet. They extracted the crop and gave me some reglan to give her for a week. She was back to her old lovey self until earlier this week. Her crop was so full and pretty hard. I brought her in the house a few times a day to massage her crop, give her water and started the reglan again. Her crop seems to have cleared but now she had a warm squishy buldge between her legs. Her vent is clean and the skin look normal. She isn't eating or drinking - unless it's when I'm not with her. I gave her some olive oil to try to help her move things along. She hasn't laid in days. The other 2 BO's I have are perfectly fine. I've left Blanche in the coop because no one has been bullying her. She is pale around her eyes and isn't active at all. I don't know what to do with her. Help please! This makes me so sad. I just love my girls!

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    What was in her crop? Have you checked her for egg bound?

3. Smartodam

Smartodam New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Some Straw and her layer feed. Nothing out of the ordinary. She just couldn't pass it. I'm not sure how to check and see if she's egg bound. Feeling between her legs, it's like fluid. How do I check? I'm pretty new at this. :)

4. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    If you have some KY jelly or olive oil, lube up your finger and gently stick it into her vent and feel for an egg. Give her a calcium pill now, that can help pass an egg.

5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  6. Smartodam

Smartodam New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Thank you. I checked and can't feel an egg. But at least now I know how to check. Any other suggestions? How long can I let her go like this before taking her back to the vet?

7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Treat her for worms with Safeguard and treat for mites.

8. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  9. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  10. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    You need to bring her in as well and keep her warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by