HELP SICK HEN

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by downsouthbirds, Feb 16, 2014.

1. downsouthbirds

downsouthbirds Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Hi, I have 17 hens I use to get fresh eggs for our family and one hen a white Cochin Bantam has started coughing and sneezing, she is eating and drinking fine this has just started this morning, I have Aureomycin 4G Medicated Crumbles should I feed this to all of the hens and will it be ok to still eat the eggs we gather from them and if not how long should we wait to eat them?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Aureomycin is chlortetracycline, and you should not eat eggs until a proper withdrawal time. Withdrawal time for Duramycin10 or tetracycline is 21 days, but I'm not sure if chlortetracycline is longer. Personally, I wouldn't medicate the hen unless I knew what she has. Some respiratory diseases are viruses, and will not respond to antibiotics. So for that reason, I would separate her from the flock, watch her for more symptoms.

3. downsouthbirds

Oct 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Ok thank you I was just wondering its normally mild weather here in the South but we just had a pretty good snow/ice storm come through North Alabama Wed-Thursday and now its sunny and temps in the 60's so was wondering if this could have contributed to these symptoms? I couldn't find any info on the bag about egg withdrawal!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Unless she starts having thick nasal secretions, sounds rattly breathing, or has swollen eye, I would not treat her. Of course, if you have had a previous outbreak of CRD or MS, this is one of the drugs for treatmnt. If you do chose to treat, treat only her and keep her isolated. That way you will only have to toss her eggs. I don't think it is good to treat chickens with antibiotics unless they have symptoms. There is just too much antibiotic resistance out there. One source I read says it is not to be used in egg laying animals which is fairly common in a lot of antibiotics, but I found this link in reference to pigs about no withdrawal for meat: https://online.zoetis.com/US/EN/MSDS_PI/PI/Aureomycin_50_90_100_Granular-swine.pdf

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  5. downsouthbirds

Oct 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Ok she is rattling when breathing and almost sounds like she is choking when she coughes so I will pull her and treat her only thank you for your help

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wanted to also give you a link to the most common respiratory diseases. It gives symptoms and treatments. Tylan50 injectble or Tylan Soluble Powder for drinking water is used by many as a first choice for respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma and coryza. Here's the link: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.
  7. downsouthbirds

Oct 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Thank you!!

8. downsouthbirds

Oct 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I have another hen coughing and sneezing same breed but she isnt rattly breathing yet....treat or no?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, I would guess she is getting it too. Most respiratory diseases in chickens are chronic and never cured. Antibiotics will only help the symptoms. All become carriers, and MG/CRD is transmitted through hatching eggs, so be sure to close your flock. None in, none out. I hope no more get sick. Tylan Soluble Powder for the water or Tylan50 injectible is a stronger antibiotic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by