Help .....Sick hen !

jilla

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 12, 2013
It has now been 7 days that my favorite girl has been sick. Last Friday she started off by being very lethargic and I had found a broken egg laying in the sand under the roost. She ate a little and drank a little but was all fluffed up and didn't want to move much. I brought her inside the porch and kept her separate. I originally thought maybe she was egg bound because she hasn't layed since then so I have been giving her warm baths and have felt for an egg but no luck. Now I'm thinking maybe sour crop because her crop feels fluid filled but squishy. She won't eat or drink and can no longer stand up :-( I have been giving her nutradrench and water. I have been massaging her crop and also I started giving her liquamycin la200 . I don't know what else to do........ I had some nystatin so I tried that but she just got diarrhea and showed no improvement.

For 5 days my Copper Marans kept her lower eyes lid closed, puffed up and wouldn't eat or drink. I brought her inside [cause it was over 100 degrees here] Got a syringe and got liquid with Terra-Vet 10 Tetracycline into her mouth every hour or two. Finally started putting a few grains of food in her mouth too. The next day she was up before me and down eating on her on. Chipped all day! I never saw a runny nose or heard a cough - have no idea what it was!?
Sure hope your girl pulls threw this.

She is beautiful!!!

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll see if I have some tetracycline and try that. Glad to hear your girl got better, more times than not it ends sadly . I hope mine has a happy ending too.

If you think she is suffering from sour crop...there is helpful information at the top of the Emergencies etc header...see "sticky threads"

At the top pf the page there is a post entitled "Helpful references and links...click on that link and scroll down until you see "Medical treatment and dosage"...scroll down until you find "!mpacted and sour crop" read and see if her symptoms match and then treat her accordingly....

She is one beautiful looking chicken!

Hope this helps...

Thanks, she doesn't have a foul odor like the reference for sour crop suggests but her crop is definitely distended and full of gas or fluid. But if it is sour crop then the antibiotics can make it worse..... she is having lots of trouble with her legs and falls back on her but a lot too but maybe that's just from being so weak and sick... ? I'll keep reading and maybe come across something that more symptoms match up. She is definitely beautiful and so sweet I hate to see her this way .

Back
Top Bottom