Help sick hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jzervas92, Oct 25, 2014.

1. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Hi everyone, my red sexlink is acting really funny. Shes only 8 months old. She's moving really slow not really eating or drinking. I let them out to free range today and she could care less. She's just sitting around doing nothing. I see no bugs or cuts on her, and her vent isn't clogged but it seems very wet. She was perfectly fine yesterday I have no idea what's going on. It's been hot and cold lately here in New York. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Just noticed when she went to the bathroom it came out as a clear liquid

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With the symptoms you describe, I would treat her for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium, Ampromed.) It is found in cattle medicines in feed stores such as TSC. Worms could also be a problem if she hasn't recently been wormed. Valbazen or fenbendazole (Safeguard Goat Wormer) 1/2 ml given orally, and repeat in 10 days would be good. Check her for mites and lice, as mites can kill by causing anemia. Before doing anything else, though, I would insert a finger, wearing a rubber glove, 1-2 inches into her vent to check for a stuck egg or egg bound. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days, followed by vitamins and probiotics for several days.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Update: She popped out a soft shelled egg, she's acting a little better now. I brought her inside and cleaned up her vent, there was no damage to it. She's outside right now so I'm going to mix some oyster shells in their feed, I guess free choice isn't working. I'm also thinking about putting some apple cider vinegar in the water too.

5. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Thank you for the reply do you think I should still treat her for coccidiosis and worms?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad she passed the egg, so maybe that was her problem. Watch her to make sure that she is eating, drinking, and acting more normal today. If not I would get the Corid. Worming her and the other s would be good for them if they haven't been lately.

7. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    She still is acting a little slow and sitting around, but she is walking around now. She also was scratching around when I let her free range. Maybe she has another one to pass, and I've always have given them pumpkin seeds as a natural preventive for worms. How do you worm a chicken?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have tried pumpkin seed for worming before I knew better, and have found that Valbazen and fenbendazole (Safeguard Goat Wormer) work best. 1/2 ml of either one given by mouth, by holding the chicken, pulling down on the wattles, place the medicine inside with a syringe or dropper, and then releasing the wattles for them to swallow. Sometimes they will eat it on bread cubes, or inside a grape.

9. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Really, I better start doing that. How many times a year should I do that?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many people worm twice a year, in the spring and in the fall. Some in very cold dry climates can get by doing it once a year. But those who live in very warm humid or rainy areas may do it every 2 months to 4 times a year. If you have had a stool sample tested by a vet, it may tell you what worms are present. Sometimes, with certain more uncommon worms, a higher dosage for 3 to 5 days of Safeguard may be required, but only one dose of Valbazen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by