1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP SICK HEN !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by adrii, Mar 7, 2015.

1. adrii

adrii Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    About a day ago I noticed my hen on the ground. She could not walk or even stand up, I've also noticed a lump between her legs. Today I took her to an avian vet. He's unsure what the lump might be, but its definitely not an egg. He also ran a blood test and found no infection's. He believes it might be one of three things. Lack of calcium, a virus, or some type of perisite. I'm truly sadden and believe that it might be marek's disease. I've separated the sick hen from the rest of the flock. They are in completely different rooms, is there anything I can do to protect the flock?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It's more likely to be ascites, cancer, internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis or if she is older, fatty liver disease. [​IMG] I wish I was more help, I am currently dealing with a 6 yr old with those possibilities. [​IMG]

3. dirtychick

dirtychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    what did the vet say?

4. adrii

adrii Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    Also today I noticed she's been breathing through her mouth.

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Did the vet look inside her throat or do a fecal float test? It sounds like her abdomen is filling with something, fluid, egg yolks, tumors and it makes it hard for her to breathe. Does her belly lump feel like a big water balloon or just squishy?

6. adrii

adrii Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    Her lump is squishy, the vet looked at her lump and mentioned that it squishy and could possibly be egg yolk that caused inflammation. Or maybe food not broken down.

7. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Well, undigested food would usually come out of the vent looking undigested unless here intestines have ruptured. (I think that would equal blood and death). It is most likely to be internal laying or EYP. Your vet does not specialize in birds I don't think. Here is a link for EYP https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis Here is one on egg laying problems in general http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/ I'll try looking for something good on ascites.

Here it is http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...s_of_poultry/ascites_syndrome_in_poultry.html

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  8. adrii

adrii Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    Thank you soo much ! So far the vet has given me calcium fluids. But the only thing now i can do is wait and pray, I hope this little girl can pull through. I'll keep you updated :(

9. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Sounds good. [​IMG] Will check on you later. BTW, how old is the hen? What breed? How long out of lay?

10. adrii

adrii Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    She's almost a year old, bantam, probably 2 or 3 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by