Help!!! Sick Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cicknmama, Apr 2, 2015.

1. cicknmama

cicknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Was wondering what could be causing my hen to wheeze and cough. She started with these sounds a couple days ago. I quarantined her and gave her ACV and garlic in her water for last three day. Seems a little better. Went to check on her this afternoon and hand fed her a little scratch and after a few bites she stopped eating opened her beak and started gasping for air. I heard rattling and gurgling sounds also. Otherwise she acts normal. Poop looks ok, maybe just a little runny and gullet feels normal. I have antibiotics for her water.....should I start her on them? Was trying the natural way first. But will do whatever I need to. Any ideas?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Before using antibiotics, check a few other things. Be sure her crop is functioning normally. Look in her mouth and down her throat for anything like mucous, tumors, lesions and cankers. Notice if she has bad or sour breath. Check her abdomen for abnormalities like lumps or squishiness, and do a vent and egg bound check. Keep watching poop for watery, undigested, off colored, bloody. Post what you find as soon as you can.We are here for you. [​IMG]

3. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Thanks so much. Brought her inside for the night because she seems to get worse at night and the Temps were supposed to drop below freezing. I will check her morning poop and do those checks in the morning and post my findings. She is not egg bound though because she laid yesterday. I did notice her comb and wattle are pale today.

4. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    UPDATE: everything checked out except she has sour breath. Crop seems to be empty and I noticed that she didn't seem to eat much yesterday. She is still wheezing coughing and making gurgling sounds. Do you think it's sour crop? Should I continue the ACV and garlic? What should I feed her. Going to keep her inside.

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Stop the ACV if she has sour crop! The ACV Is ruining the ph balance in her digestive tract. Give yogurt instead. Sour crop is a yeast infection. You can give her womens' yeast infection suppositories, 1/3 at a time to help clear it up. Search sour crop treatment on this site, there is a specific ingredient on the product that works best. I don't remember just this minute which it is.

6. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Thanks for the advice. Didn't realize it was yeast...yes I agree about the ACV. I'm giving her Kefir, a milk based probiotic. That should be ok? I will get that medicine right away. Thanks.

7. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    YW. Kiefer should work until you get the meds. chickens don't digest dairy very well but it'll work in a pinch. [​IMG]

8. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    ok...got a miconazole 3 packet same as monistat. Should I give her two doses today or just one since it's already 3pm? Thought it was funny that she laid an egg being that she is sick and in a dog kennel.....should I throw out her eggs as long as I'm treating her? Or does that medication not effect the eggs?

9. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I think just one dose today. Her eggs will be fine. [​IMG]

10. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Thank you so much!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by