Help! Sick, impacted crop?? What should i do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KaitlynChick55, Nov 11, 2011.

1. KaitlynChick55

KaitlynChick55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    Please help! I have an adult austrolope hen (she isn't old) , and that big ball shaped thing on her breast (is that the crop??) is really hard, when normally it is soft. what can i do for her? she is slow, but she does follow things around with her eyes, just walks around really slow. she seems puffed up- at first i thought she was just angry at another chicken. her crest was really white, but once i gave her some water and a little bit of food, she looks alittle more lively.
    So, what should i do? i don't want to lose her, shes my baby girl [​IMG]

2. Montana cluckers

Montana cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Do a search on impacted crops on here. There are threads that tell you what can be done. Not to discourage you, but we lost one of our favorite hens back in the spring from an impacted crop. I tried adding vinegar to her water and everything, but she was evidently too far gone. Hope you have better success at getting her healed.

3. KaitlynChick55

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    vinegar to water? how much vinegar in the water? thanks

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. KaitlynChick55

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    After looking it up on the internet, i gave her some a little bit of olive oil, and massaged her crop. already her crop has gotton softer. shes definelty loving being spoiled! thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by