1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP Sick newly hatched quail ..complete newbie

Discussion in 'Quail' started by infinityxox, Apr 10, 2017.

1. infinityxox

infinityxox New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    Hi everyone I have a sick quail hatched last night ... a couple of days before I tried to help it hatch by cracking it's shell it started bleeding ..so I put vaseline on it and placed back into incubator ..yesterday morning still didn't hatch so I pulled it out and cracked more of its shell .. last night it came out and didn't look to good ...so I left it .. today I placed it in brooder with other chicks they trampled all over it ..so I pulled it out and placed it back into incubator .. to shift a few things around brooder in box before doing this I gave her a couple of drops of water looks like she has hiccups or head is jerking in a rhythm ... she's still not moving but is still breathing ... looks lifeless .. eyes closed kind of panting ... I'll wait another half[​IMG] hour then try give her more water..

2. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    I would say you have 3 choices,
    1. Let it be, wait and see
    2. take it to the vet and spend $25-$100 trying to keep it alive,
    3. end its misery

It does not pay to tamper with nature. When you go cracking eggs open to help the chick hatch out (if it doesn't come out on its own) you are asking for it and usually a long list of futile efforts. The chick was weak to begin with and if you hadn't intervened it would have most likely died out due to a variety of possible reasons or causes. That is just natures way of sorting things out and ensuring that only the strongest survives.

It's cold bitter advice, but from what you describe and the photo. I would just end its life as quickly as possible and focus on those that did make it.

3. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I had one that did the exact same thing. It thought it was a gonner for sure. I helped it hatch after it hadn't made it any further than a pip for 36 hours. I left it in the incubator. It lay on its side twitching all afternoon, all evening, it was still like that when I went to bed and I was sure I would get up to find a dead chick. But by some miracle it was alive and well, running round the incubator when I got up in the morning, peeping for friends. So give it a chance - I would just leave it be, let it rest.

Our little Miracle is a fit and healthy chick and very beautiful. He/she is a Pharoah colour with a splash of white across its tummy.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. infinityxox

infinityxox New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    Hi everyone I gave her 3 drops of water every half hour over 3 hours then went to bed ... woke up this morning and she's managed to jump out of small container in brooder and is running around with the rest of her siblings yeey I'll upload pics this arvo so happy she's feeling better big thanks to everyone

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Yay! I'm so glad your little one made it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by