Help! Sick or Constipated Chicks Off Balance with Ruffled Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GretaChrome, Apr 5, 2018.

1. GretaChrome

GretaChrome In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2018
    Hi!
    We have had our 6, 4 week old chicks for almost 4 weeks now. They have been happy and healthy aside from the occasional pasting in one, however, Monday night I noticed one (a different chick from the one who occasionally pasted up that I mentioned) was pasted up badly. I cleaned her up and set her back down to see her stumbling and falling over, losing her balance. When she caught herself she sat there "squatting" with her feathers ruffled, swaying back and forth with her bum in the air and acting like she was trying to poop. I was worried it was because she was pasted up so badly and that she just needed to poop after that, but the next morning she was the same. I've now noticed two others like this but not so bad. They will all peck at food but we've had to bring them water or bring them to the water. We think maybe they are constipated...? What else could this be?
    We had them on blended oats, sunflower seeds (shelled), and a hardboiled egg as their feed, but we were worried the egg was too sticky and causing them to be constipated or that the food was not sufficient enough (though they loved the egg!).
    We now have them on hemp seeds, brewers yeast, oats and sunflower seeds, all blended up into chick-sized crumbs. Do you think this is sufficient enough feed? Should I add anything else to their daily feed to balance it out and meet their nutritional requirements? I am very into making my own feed for them but my family was asking about putting them on commercial feed during this time.
    They have minerals and apple cider vinegar in their water and we've been offering them yogurt mixed with olive oil.
    TIY for your help!!
    P.S., I wanted to upload a video but it wouldn't let me IMG_1379.jpg IMG_1380.jpg IMG_1379.jpg IMG_1380.jpg IMG_1378.jpg

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    In addition to that list of things you've been offering your chicks, how about chick grit?

It's one of the most common things folks forget when raising chicks. Lack of grit causes most of the digesitve problems in chicks around the age of yours.

I suggest you dose the sluggish chicks with coconut oil, one teaspoon each orally. Massage the crop very gently to get the oil on its way down the chick's digestive track.

Tip: Using coconut oil in its solid state is easier and safer than liquid oil when treating chickens for digestive problems.

GretaChrome likes this.
  3. GretaChrome

Apr 5, 2018
    Hi! Yes, they have chick grit. Thank you for the suggestion of Coconut Oil! I like Coconut Oil and have some around, so perfect. :)

azygous likes this.
  4. GretaChrome

Apr 5, 2018
    We just lost my baby Betsy :hit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: