Help Sick Pet Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by csjones48, Dec 14, 2014.

1. csjones48

csjones48 New Egg

Mar 27, 2011
    I have an older hen (not sure how old) she was grown and laying when we got her. She has green poo stuck to her butt. She stands around in the yard fluffed up like she's cold. Moves very slow. Not eating like she normally does.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She sounds like she needs to be inside or given some extra heat to keep warm. Green droppings are usually a result of not eating enough. With her symptoms, it could be several things, but with an older hen she could be laying internally. Reproductive cancers are common. I had one with those symptoms who had an obstruction in the gizzard. I would probably worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, check her for signs of mites or lice, and feed her her layer feed with some scrambled egg and put electrolytes in her water. Sulmet or Sulfadimethoxine in the water may help if she had coccidiosis or an intestinal infection.

3. csjones48

csjones48 New Egg

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. She's much worse and I'm afraid I'm going to lose her. She's stopped eating I've tried feeding her yogurt but she's not interested. I don't see any mice or lice. I was treating with LA-200 a broad spectrum antibiotic but it didn't help. Can I find Sulmet at the feed store. I'll try anything.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that she has gotten worse. Is she still drinking? Sulmet or Sulfadimethoxine can be found at farm stores in the cattle medicines. She needs to drink the medicated water in a normal amount, or those medicines won't help. Can you take her to a vet? She sounds like she may not live. I would offer some egg to her, and give her some electrolytes in water before you get the Sulmet. Has she lost weight, or is her lower abdomen full and spongy? Did you worm her? You can try to tube feed her until she feels better, but I'm not sure of what her exact problem is. Here is a good link for tube feeding instructions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by