help sick pullet about 4 mths old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aprilschicks, Feb 21, 2013.

1. aprilschicks

aprilschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    Joshua tx
    help i have a pullet that i am not shure what is wrong with her she is very lethric fluff up and is seems like she cant hold her head up by hershelf this just started ealry today is has been doing nothing but sleeping i forced her some water with vet rx in it she didnt like that to well she not eating she boop ealier and it was like water with white in it i was thinking egg bound but i not shure so i also vaslined her butt and shorty after that is when she boop her pouch is empty going to try yogurt and eggs in moring if she still with us any ideas?

2. aprilschicks

Oct 21, 2012
    Joshua tx
    just forced her some yougurt and she took it and she also drink but i had to hold her head up so she chuold help any opions will be helpful

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Sounds like it could be wry neck or salmonella. Since you said the bird is drinking on its own, try some Sulfadimethoxine powder (1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water) for two days, then 2 days of vitamins-electrolytes in the water. If the bird is still having watery-white droppings, do another 2 days of Sulfadimethoxine in the water. Let us know each day how the bird is doing.

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Have you checked for worms? Also, how about her eyes, breathing, vent feathers, are the poopy? How about her crop? Does it feel full? Hard? Squishy? How about her weight?

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Oh, and do you have any poultry drench? Its fast absorbing vitamin kick for birds.

6. aprilschicks

Oct 21, 2012
    Joshua tx
    havent checked for worms her eyes are clear and fine she is breathing normal vent feather are clean her crop feels empty this just started yesturcay and got worse as day went on her weigh has been good how u check for worms?

7. aprilschicks

Oct 21, 2012
    Joshua tx
    everyone esle is doing just perfect that was in the run with her and the day before yesturday she was doing awsome as well

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I am having the same problem, it started with one, now I have a second one. I have been giving rooster booster and tried to get the first one to eat some warm yogurt, but she won't. I will try it tonight on the second. Mine are in the garage on concret and straw.

9. aprilschicks

Oct 21, 2012
    Joshua tx
    none of my other ones are doing it

10. aprilschicks

Oct 21, 2012
    Joshua tx
    i just offered here egg yolk and she took but i still had to hold her head up while she ate and have to do samething when i offer her water but she drinking and eats eat yolk and yogurt but just have to hole her head up when i do any opioins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by