Help sick pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MARSON2, Jan 25, 2009.

1. MARSON2

MARSON2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    Hubbard Lake, Michigan
    Help I have a sick 14 week old pullet. She was eating bread
    yesterday morning. Later in the day she kind of stayed by herself
    in the corner of the coop. I noticed a yellowish clear poop with
    a clot of dark geen, later I seen white with like carmel stricks in it,
    both runny. She won't take bread or water. she just sits there.
    I brought her in my garage in a box and she just sits there. You
    can tell she is sick. She could not of ate anything bad. [​IMG]

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you feel her crop, is it hard or soft, can you smell her breath, is it sour or no smell?
    Feel the back end of her, sound humiliating, but at 14 weeks there is that ever slight possibility that she could be egg bound.
    Some times giving them blades of grass or lettuce can entice them into eating. Others have placed a few pieces of grass in the water to encourage drinking.
    I wish I could help you more and probably someone can later this morning, but feel her and tell us what you find, is she standing while dumpy or laying to one side?
    Good luck and I hope you find answers soon!

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Marson,

It does sound sort of like she passed a broken egg in which case she probably has an infection and needs systemic antibiotics. I'd offer her plain yogurt with hard boiled egg yolk in it. Be sure she is very warm and in a dim, quiet place. Warmth is so important when they are sick. I don't know what else to tell you. Hopefully, somebody will come here soon to give you more advice. Good luck.

4. MARSON2

Nov 6, 2008
    Hubbard Lake, Michigan
    I forgot to mention last night I felt her crop, it seemed large and
    very squeeceable. She kind of drooled a little bit. I message a little
    and flipped her upside down and she had a lot of juice run out her
    mouth. I did this three times. This morning she pecked a little laying
    feed. It's like a chop feed. They always have lots of grit and oster
    shells. I started them all on Duramcin-10 today.
    I went out this morning and checked on the rest and I seen runny
    light brown poop, same as the sick one has now. I seen an egg on the floor of the coop last night and it had a soft shell but I don't know if it was from her or another pullet. They have just started to lay last week, an egg every other day. [​IMG]

5. MARSON2

Nov 6, 2008
    Hubbard Lake, Michigan
    Also if they are egg bound can they poop?

6. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I believe I was told by a vet that they can poop when egg bound. If you don't have plain yogurt, just cook her up some scrambled or hard boiled egg. Also apple sauce might tempt her. When the fluid came out of her crop, did it smell bad? That's a sign she may have sour crop.

7. MARSON2

Nov 6, 2008
    Hubbard Lake, Michigan
    No smell, she ate some bread with the antibiotic water on it. She won't move around much or even try to jump out of the small box she is in.[​IMG]

8. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    If her crop is still really big in the morning, she probably has an impacted crop (which is different from sour crop). If it's flat, then it's something else, of which it could be peritonitis from a ruptured egg. And I'm just guessing at that from your description of what came out her rear. Is there any chance you could take her to a vet?

9. MARSON2

Nov 6, 2008
    Hubbard Lake, Michigan
    Hi, There is no chicken vet for 300 miles. I have another question. Can
    you turn all chickens upside down and juice runs from there mouth? I did
    this morning and it doesn't smell bad. I returned her to the coop she seems a little better. Is the antibotic mentioned in my early post any good?[​IMG]

10. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Well, I have never personally done that but yes, I believe they all will do it if turned upside down. There is also a danger of aspirating them when you do this so, if the stuff doesn't smell, I wouldn't keep doing it. I don't know anything about Duramcin 10. Did you feel her crop this morning? Was it empty?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by