1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Sick Rooster. Don't know what else to do.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tnelly13, Nov 2, 2015.

1. tnelly13

tnelly13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2015
    I have a sick silkie rooster who is about 8 months old. Has been fine until about last Tuesday when I came home and noticed him hanging out by himself, I noticed he had diarrhea so I started everyone on electrolytes and pro biotics. Wasn't' much change the next day but on Thursday he was back to hanging out with the girls and even was able to roost with them (he stayed on the floor of the coop the 2 nights before). He had been eating and drinking well that whole time. On Friday morning he was back on the floor of the coop and unable to walk, just flailing around with his wings. I put him in a crate and brought him in the house, he was still eating that morning but by evening he wouldn't eat or drink. I have been giving him poly vi sol twice a day since then as well as offering food/water which he had no interest in so I was putting a few drops of water in his mouth several times a day. Yesterday he started to drink a little on his own as long as I am holding him but he absolutely will not eat. He is losing weight pretty quickly. He doesn't seem to have a runny nose or anything but does seem like he is wheezing slightly. Still can not stand or really move around much at all. I have tried giving his scambled eggs and also put some plain greek yogurt in his mouth and got very little down. What else can I do for him? I hate to seem him like this. I have some LA 200, do you think it would be worth it to try and give him a shot of that? If he doesn't eat something I don't see how he can last much longer. I am assuming he still has slight diarrhea as I can not find any droppings in crate although he hasn't eaten enough to have much. Any ideas?? Thanks!

2. tnelly13

Jun 15, 2015
    One other note, we recently just got a lot of rain. He started acting sick 2 days after all of the rain. Don't know if it could somehow be related or just a coincidence.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    At first glance it sounds very much like classic Mareks disease. Usually there isn't wheezing, but I have never treated a chicken with Mareks. Was he vaccinated? There can be other conditions that look like Mareks, such as dehydration from coccidiosis, and mold in the feed. Another possibility could be aspergillosis a mold infection that can affect the air sacs, lungs, and whole body including the central nervous system. Increased thirst and gasping can be signs, but secondary infections are also common. Neither has any real treatment, but I would continue to make him comfortable and offer him fluids and food. Tube feeding can be done if you wish to try that. Here is a link about tube feeding and Mareks:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

4. tnelly13

Jun 15, 2015
    Thank you, I did get him from a breeder and he was vaccinated. Are they still able to get Mareks even when vaccinated? As of this morning there has been no change :(

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It can take at least 2 weeks for chicks to develop full immunity when given the vaccine as a day old chick. They have to be kept away from any dust or dander that may contain the disease. There have been several cases of Mareks here on BYC in chickens who were supposedly vaccinated at hatcheries. No vaccine is 100% effective. But given all that I would look for other possibilities for your rooster's illness. A necropsy done by the state vet after death or a blood test while alive are the only ways to confirm the disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by