Help! Sick Rooster with purple comb.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiemomma, Sep 8, 2008.

1. chickiemomma

chickiemomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2008
    New City, New York
    A couple of days ago I noticed our 1 1/2 year old RIR rooster has lost weight. This morning I noticed his comb was turning purple. I watched him eat normally this morning. He seemed ok. He is now lying in the coop with yellow fluid coming out of his mouth. Anyone have any ideas of why this is happening and how to help him?

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    No clue. It doesn't sound good.

Keep us posted.

3. Crazy_Chicken_Lady

Crazy_Chicken_Lady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    The Empire State
    It sounds most like Avian Influenza. As, the signs(to name a few) are weight loss, skin hemorrhages, darkned head, comb & wattles and/or swollen eyes, paralysis of legs, purplish shanks and rapid deaths. In postmotem they have a yellowish straw colored fluid beneath the skin of the face. If it is it's highly contagious. Sometimes they will also have bacterial or mycoplasmal disease along with it.

Tho it also resembles chlamydiosis, CRD, Newcastle, acute cholera or infectious laryngotracheitis.

It doesn't sound good. You need to disinfect the coop! Good luck and my prayers for your little rooster.

4. chickiemomma

Feb 19, 2008
    New City, New York
    None of my other chickens seem sick. Is this contagious?

5. Crazy_Chicken_Lady

Sep 4, 2008
    The Empire State
    According to my chicken book you should give antibiotic to prevent any secondary infection that might be along with the virus.

6. chickiemomma

Feb 19, 2008
    New City, New York
    What kind of antibiotic? Is there a cure?

7. Crazy_Chicken_Lady

Sep 4, 2008
    The Empire State
    Yes, highly contagious if it is Avian Influenza. Tho, birds can be immune but, they are carriers. Google it and you'll get lots of info and photos of infected birds.

8. Crazy_Chicken_Lady

Sep 4, 2008
    The Empire State
    Probably, a good broad spectrum antibiotic like Baytril (tho, you'd have to get at vet), Over the counter: Terramycin, Aureomycin, Tetra-Bac 324 Soluble Powder Tetracycline to name a few.

9. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Are you talking about bird flu. Bird flu is not in the US is it?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  10. chickiemomma

Feb 19, 2008
    New City, New York
    I thought there have been no documented cases of avian flu in the U.S., that's what the CDC says.

Could it be heart failure? He is extremely large compared to our other RIR rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by