HELP! Sick Rooster!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roostersandhens, Jan 21, 2014.

1. My sweet rooster named Oreo is sick. He started out with a closed eye one day. The next day it was open a crack. The next day it was half way open. It seemed like he could see. He still has it half way open today aka week later. Now he seems really sick, he isn't walking just sitting around. So now he is in a crate in my house near the fire place that is on. He is fast asleep; no noise going on wakes him up. I am not trying to wake him. My house is just noisy. I will try to take him to the vet..
    This is him in his crate, sorry the photo is red, I was trying to press down on the place where my camera flashes so he wouldn't wake up, and it made the picture red..

[​IMG]
    As you see he has his head down against his chest. Both eyes are closed. I don't think he can see out of the hurt one, and he is hurt eye is infected. But please HELP!!!
    Thanks soooooo much
    - roostersandhens

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Have you checked him for any crop issues such as an impact,have you checked for wounds/injuries?

If he has not been eating for a week,he is very weak and his body is probably shutting down,very important for birds to eat/drink as they become dehydrated very fast,and require constant food to fuel their bodies.

Any discharge from eyes/nostrils? Raspy breathing?

3. I will check his crop, he doesn't have any wounds. I am not sure if he has been eating, I know he has been eating less. I tried giving him a raw unsalted sunflower with no shell and he took it then held it in his mouth for a bit then dropped it..

4. ShinShien

ShinShien Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    Sounds like when my speckled sussex hen was sick. Never knew what she had. Coccidia was the suspect. I dipped her beak in Nutri-drench infused water every 4 hours. She miraculously perked up in a few days.

[​IMG]
    That's her today. This happened when she was younger.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @roostersandhens , I mean this in the nicest way possible, but your rooster is very sick. How much work and effort are you willing and able to do? Simply keeping in the house by the fire is not going to cure him. It's possible that he has a respiratory disease that making him not eat and drink and now he is so weakened he's very close to dying. If he were mine I would weigh him on a kitchen scale in grams and if his crop was empty I would tube feed him Pedialyte at 30ml/kg (30ml per 2.2 pounds) every 6-8 hours until hydrated, then Pedialyte with Kaytee Baby Bird Food. Most people don't have stuff to tube with, so you would have to go get a tube, syringe, Pedialyte and baby birds food.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  6. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    It might not be pleasant for your rooster, but at this point you should get some small crumbs of bread of something and put it inside his beak. If it doesn't work, try what casportpony said.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's a good idea, but only if he's been drinking. Hydration must always be corrected before one force feeds.

-Kathy

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I would tube feed,but never force feed as this in my opinion compounds the problem.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2, it's way too stressful on the bird.

-Kathy

10. I will do anything to save him. He seems a little bit better, he is no longer sleeping, and he isn't tucking his head by his chest anymore. So that it a good sign. I scheduled an appointment with the vet for 4:00 today. I just heard him crow, first time this morning. Now he is crowing a lot. I just took pictures of how he looks now:
    His head isn't tucked into his chest now, it kinda looks that way though because of his waddles..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    He crowed when I took a picture:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by