Help! sick rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cityfarmer12, Feb 7, 2015.

1. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Well, first i'll tell you what the rooster normally acts like. He is a bantam cochin x millie dfleur. He is super friendly and follows me around like a puppy dog. He loves all food and thinks he's really tough even with all the standard chickens. Always asking for petting and trying to get a treat from me. A very underfoot little guy.

This morning i went out to open up the coop and he didn't come running out. I went inside and just found him just in the corner. When he saw me, he came forward, but he stumbled and rocked around. Once outside, be just stood in the sun closing his eyes. I fed and watered everyone, and he did come to to eat. I tried feeding him from the scoop and still no interest. Didn't drink when i offered him water either. His tail and wings are droopy and he looks sleepy.

I checked him over and the crop seems ok, and from what i could tell, his feet and legs are not injured. His cecal poop is stuck around the feathers on his butt. his breathing is normal.

I've now got him in a dog crate up on the porch (it's a really nice day here, 65 degrees, will bring him in the house at night) with food and water. Watching him now, he is just laying down.

so, any ideas? I really like the little guy, and don't want too loose him. I read that i should maybe give him an epsom salt bath, and administer olive oil and Epsom salt orally. i can't take him to the vet, so please i need some ways i can help him at home. my parents don't agree with taking the farm animals (except the larger animals) to the vet. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

How old is he? Has he ever been dewormed? Have you checked him carefully for mites/lice? Any new birds or chicks brought in recently that may have brought along a new strain of cocci? Those are the first things I'd consider. Remove food from his crate tonight and check his crop first thing in the morning before feeding him anything, it should be empty.

3. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    thanks for the answer. Not quite sure how old he is...i'm guessing around a year and a half to 2 years old. Not sure if he has ever been dewormed. I did think about that. Should i deworm him? If so, would ivermectin work for birds? I have some for the other animals already. I did check him over carefully and found nothing. He is actually the new guy. I bought him about a month ago, quarantined him in a crate for 2 weeks then let him meet the others through the fence for a week. Last week i put him with the flock. I thought maybe this could have affected something...what would i do for cocci? He shows some of the symptoms of dehydration, so i have been handfeeding him water every 30 minutes. Went ahead and gave him a bath, and he is now in the house sleeping. Thanks!

4. cafarmgirl

Since he is very new to your property and is showing these symptoms I'd be highly suspicious of coccidiosis. Get some Corid and starting treating immediately. If he's not drinking enough then you need to give him the medicated water with an eye dropper or needless syringe every hour or so, or as often as you are able to this first day or so. Or if you get the liquid Corid give him a couple drops straight, undiluted, to get him started. Then mix as directed in his water. You may still want to give it to him via syringe until you see that he is drinking reliably on his own.

The directions are as follows: For the powder mix 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water, make it up fresh every day and treat for 5 days.,
    For the liquid, mix two teaspoons per gallon, same directions otherwise.

Corid can be found at most feed stores and Tractor Supply, usually in the cattle section.

It would also be a good idea to deworm him but maybe wait until you've got him past this problem. Ivermectin is no longer an effective dewormer in poultry due to it's overuse as a miticide. Get some liquid Safeguard for goats or some Valbazen. Dose for a bantam is 1/4 cc, repeat in 10 days.

Good luck with him, hope this solves the problem!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  5. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    thank you! I will get some Corid to have on hand for other birds if this happens again.

Sadly, this morning i went to check on him and he was limp in the cage with a purple comb. I thought he was dead. I gave him more water, but be died not long after i woke up [​IMG] Thanks for you help :)

6. cafarmgirl

Oh I'm very sorry to hear you lost the little guy. Yes, keep some Corid on hand anyway for future use for new birds or young birds you might have. It's a fast killer so I suspect that's what he might have had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by