Help! Sick Silkie!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DJFarm, Aug 15, 2011.

1. DJFarm

DJFarm New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    Today I found my 5 moth old Silkie in the corner of her pen panting heavily. One of my larger hens came up and started pecking at her. I put her in a box in my breezeway. My husband offered her food and water and she ate and drank. She doesn't seem to want to stand. I've checked her over and have not found any wounds. She still has a lot of fight in her when I pick her up. Anyone have any clues what this could be or what I can do to save her???

2. DJFarm

DJFarm New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    Thank you very much. I live in Florida so it was about 98 today. I'm thinking the heat exhaustion could be a factor. I just hope she'll be ok [​IMG]

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I figured you were in the south at least...when I read breezeway! You will need to watch her for several days as heat stress doesn't go away immediately. Maybe let her out at evening and early morning and then bring her in for the heat of the day. Do you use a coop?
    sharon

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Me too.

5. DJFarm

DJFarm New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    Haha yes definately hot in Florida right now... We have a coop but all of our chickens are free roam. They hag out in out goat pen(there coop is inside of the goat pen) or wander off into our yard. They all go in to their coop once its dark. She did well overnight. I haven't tried to stand her up yet but she's still eating,drinking and using the bathroom now. I'm going to keep her in the breezeway until she starts moving around on her own. Thanks for all of your input.
    Jessica

6. DJFarm

DJFarm New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm happy to report that little Napolean is finally standing. I plan on keeping her in for a few days. Thank you everyone for your help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by