Help sick silkies, sneezing and conjestion

luckiestck1

Songster
11 Years
Aug 13, 2012
Hi
I have 3 sick silkies they are sneezing and sometimes sound conjested. Have tried oxymav and baytril. When given to them the sneezing seems to lessen or disappear but when taken off the symptoms either reappear after a few days or there still sneezing mildly.
They are eating and drinking normaly only had them for 1 1/2 months.
Dont know what to do, have eggs due to hatch in 1 1/2 weeks.

how long has this been going on for? is their coop well ventilated? often during the winter months we all make the mistake of battening down our coops and sealing our girls inside to make our family as warm as possible. but often we forget that for a chicken, clean air is the most vital aspect of all during the winter months( besides obvious food and water ) ventilation is oh so important to your girl's health as moisture from feces rises into the air containing harmful gasses and toxins, sealing an environment in can have some awful effects on your flock and may contribute to a number of symptoms and illnesses, mostly pertaining to the respiratory system.

If antibiotics have not helped, it may be infectious bronchitis, which you can Google (in chickens.) It is very contagious, causes frequent sneezing and congestion. It lasts about 4-5 weeks, and all chickens remain carriers for 5 months to a year afterward. So, I would not add chickens or hatch eggs until early spring of 2019, since the new ones would keep perpetuating the disease. MG can look similar to IB, but it may be more serious, and you might see eye bubbles or foam, and more severe breathing. MG can also cause swollen eyelids, and can make them carriers for life.
Using antibiotics, especially powerful ones without knowing a diagnosis can cause antibiotic resistance, plus the chickens may develop diarrhea or yeast infections. I would be sure to give them probiotics or use a little good brand of plain yogurt in their food for a week or two to get the beneficial gut bacteria back to normal.

If it is ib they will always be carrier's and contagious. I hope not because i dont want to cull my flock

IB only makes them carriers and contagious for up to a year. You can try to get a couple tested to diagnose it. Call your local county extension agent or the state vet.

Back
Top Bottom