Help! Sick Turkey! Any Idea Of What It Could Be

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Evelle, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    hello good morning to everyone
    so yesterday i noticed that my BB hen was very lazy..
    shes usally the first one to the door when i open it. but she was sitting in the field sleeping.. she was the first in her coop laying on the floor last night sleeping and everytime i see her she resting very strange..
    out of the ordanary i started feeding them a whole feeder full of food instead of throwing it on the ground.. she was very excited that she ate so fast she couldnt breathe.
    today she wont even eat bread her oh so favorate snack she jumps 5 feet in the air for.
    shes very slow and im very worried.
    yesterday she had one very yellow poop and solid yesterday today its like LIME green and waterey..
    i looked up all kinds of diseses and i think im going crazy because it seem like she has every simptom on every list..
    lathargic, drouzzie, green/yellow poo, darker head or ( i think it is) no appitite, wont drink. she still heavy. will some one please help me!! figure it out.
    [​IMG] here she is in the bathroom shes been there for an hour and not really moved.
    [​IMG] her face anyone else think it looks kinda purple
    edit forgot to say that someone had told me to listen to her breathing to see if it was wraspy.... its not i think her breathing is good.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    What about blackhead disease. Is she raised around alot of chickens? Sometimes chickens carry this, and pass it along to turkeys.

3. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    that was one of the things i was thinking it could be.. [​IMG]
    but not to sure.
    she free ranges along with 42 chickens.
    but sleeps in a seprate coop.

4. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Blackhead often comes from raising turkeys and chickens together. It is a protozoa, (a parasitic thing), and the only thing I can think of to give your turkey is called Fish Zole. It can be bought at pet stores that sell fish/aquariums and supplies.

I did read recently that cayenne powder also works. You put alot of it in their food. I am not sure if it's a preventer, or it actually can kill the blackhead protozoa.

I will try and find a link for you....

5. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If you just do a search on Fish Zole here on BYC, you will easily see the links to find out where you can buy it. I can't seem to figure out how to copy a link....(DUH) I am so sorry!

She's a beautiful turkey, and I hope everything turns out OK for you.

6. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    thank you [​IMG]
    im hoping im just a hyprocondract byproxiy (bad speller sorry)
    my husband and a farmer friend said just to kill her.. but if shes sick we cant eat her so that would just be wasteful any ways right?

7. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    does anyone else have any Idea???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by