Help!-Sickly Buff Orpingtons!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bantamlover124, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Bantamlover124

Bantamlover124 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    US
    My Coop
    I hae treated them for:
    1:Coccidiosis
    2:Food supplement for de-wormer

I have givin them electrolytes, the male is skinny and less active than the female who now has a way oversized, red comb.
    The disease isn't spreading to my other chickens-although it spread to one, my d'ANVER male who was living in the same cage that they were in before. He got thin and died within a few days.
    The female d'ANVER is still alive and doesn't seem thin, I haven't seen the Buffs gasping, no bad poop, and for the buffs, this has been going on for months.
    Please help, What could it be?!

This is what they look like:
    [​IMG]

One of my other roosters is gasping and is slightly pale:[​IMG]. He is almost always sleeping. He is also skinny.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. Bantamlover124

Jul 29, 2013
    US
    My Coop
    Please reply!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I may think about treating for coccidiosis again. What dewormer are you using?
    Are they eating? Drinking? Out of the sun?

I think the best thing to do is to send the next dead chicken to a state run animal disease lab. Or take one to the vet.
    It sounds contagious. It's hard to diagnose a chicken on the internet. The symptoms overlap for many illnesses.

4. Bantamlover124

Jul 29, 2013
    US
    My Coop
    They are eating, drinking and out of the sun.
    I treated then for Cocci about a week ago, I am boosting my whole flock with vitamins. I don't think it is that contagious, because my Leghorns, which are right next to the Buff's, are doing great, one is going through a moly and is doing fine.
    But it is contagious to a point..... We were using a food powder de-wormer. I tried a little of apple cider vinigar, I am going to give them a liquid de-wormer about a week after the vitamin boost, what do you think it is, from the symptoms?

5. Bantamlover124

Jul 29, 2013
    US
    My Coop
    Yeah, if this helps the disease doesn't seem to affect the hens as much, but has abnormal side effects, and the floppy combs could be a key target too...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  6. Bantamlover124

Jul 29, 2013
    US
    My Coop
    Hello?

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    So the only symptoms that you are seeing are that a few birds were/are thin and gasping? If so, the three main suspected problems are worms, Coccidiosis, or some bacterial infection.I don't think that the red comb is a symptom, as a big red comb is a sign of a healthy bird. Do you know what the powdered wormer you used was called? And how did you treat for Coccidiosis (medication and dosage)?

I would recommend worming again, with a more common, broad-spectrum wormer. Some choices include Valbazen, SafeGuard, and the Worminator (it contains Flubenvet, and is what I use). Most can be found at a livestock supply store, and the Worminator can be purchased online from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584

In case of a bacterial infection, I'd treat with an antibiotic, such as Oxytetracycline (sold under names such as Terramycin, Duramycin-10, Tetroxy HCA-280, and LA200). The Oxytetracycline dosage is 1/8 teaspoon powdered Oxytetracycline per cup of drinking water for 7-14 days. Do not give probiotics or dairy products during antibiotic treatment. Vitamins/electrolytes are fine, though.

External parasites can sometimes cause weakness, too. Check under feathers near the vent, oil gland, hackle, and wings for small black specks (mites) or larger yellow blobs (lice). If you see any mites or lice, dust with 5 or 10% Sevin dust, another lice/mite dust, or (though its never worked for me) diatamaceous earth. If you birds are severely infected with mites/lice, a bath might help get rid of them, as well.

Lastly, what type of feed are you using? What are its protein and calcium percentages? If your birds aren't getting adequate nutrition, that could explain their weakness.

Hope I've helped! Feel free to answer my questions, and ask more. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  8. Bantamlover124

Jul 29, 2013
    US
    My Coop
    Wow! Thanks! 1: I have just done Coccidiosis treatment 2: I have not found one parasite on them 3: I don't know protein procentage but will certainly look, they are 7-8 months and haven't laid if that helps :) So I think I am going to start with bacterial perhaps! Thank u soooo much!

9. Bantamlover124

Jul 29, 2013
    US
    My Coop
    Coccidiosis was:
    9.5cc per gallon of water
    Don't know powdered de-wormer....

10. Bantamlover124

Jul 29, 2013
    US
    My Coop
    I think I have done Terramyacin before- right now I am treating them with an electrolyte supplement now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by