HELP! Silkie ate about 10 flies covered in permethrin bug spray!

lepoulet

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Help! One of my silkies raced over after I sprayed a bunch of cluster flies with permethrin bug spray and ate them! I syringed some water into her and tried to make her vomit, but nothing came up. Now she is going over to lay an egg so not very active. I made a plate of veggies for her to try to "dilute" the poison, but I am at a loss. There is no antidote for permethrin. Has anyone ever had this happen? I am panicking bigtime. This is our #1 girl, of course.

Thanks so much everyone.

A little permethrin won't hurt her, but I don't know how much she got. A good flushing may be needy.

1 teaspoon of Epson salt dissolved in
1 ounce of water.

A couple droppers, about 3 CC, of this should clean her out fairly quickly. Other then that just make sure she keeps eating and drinking and watch her behavior.

Matt

Last edited:
Ok, I just found the LD50 on Permethrin in birds, and it is quite high:

"The oral LD50 for the permethrin formulation, Pramex is >9,900 mg/kg in mallard ducks, in pheasants is >13,500 mg/kg, and >15,500 mg/kg in Japanese quail"

so I'm not as worried at this point. Long term experiments with permethrins caused low RBC over a 3 week period according to another study.

I'll keep an eye on her.

Thanks much.

We have the permethrin fly spray thing on our covered back porch and I am sure some of ours have munched on some dead flies. No problems here
smile.png

Thanks so much for your replies. I'm a little overprotective of this one! I gave her the salt mixture and she just dust bathed and ate corn and seems normal.

Back
Top Bottom