Help! Silkie breeding - silkie improving!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenbp, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Chickenbp

Chickenbp Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2012
    So I'm trying to improve my silkies as the ones over here in Wales are no where near the quality of those in America, I see yours, really full and round tails, lots of foot feathers....I would like to know how to improve my birds!?! Are breed like Pekins, Cochins, brahmas ect ect used...please help me! Especially with my new project...I need a good shape! Thanks

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    pikins well help your types, pekin\polish cross to silkies

3. Chickenbp

Oct 5, 2012
    Thank you! My showgirls need a boost! 10th gen...thy look like our silkies but not yours

4. Chickenbp

Oct 5, 2012
    Any other comments?

5. Chickenbp

Oct 5, 2012

6. Chickenbp

Oct 5, 2012

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I know there are some really nice silkies in Great Britain; maybe contact your breed club and ask for the names of breeders in your area? Yes, there is a type difference (and lots more non-bearded birds than here), but the more you can breed without crossing, the easier it will be for you. You might also ask SilverSilkie for advice; he is from Belgium, and has been working quite successfully to breed birds to the US standard.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  8. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Please improve them to have good feet!!!!! I don't like them having extra toes and crocked feet. Yuck!!!! That put me off the breed.

9. Chickenbp

Oct 5, 2012

Toes is something I'm struggling with, my showgirls often get four toes, my other breed I'm working on which is top secret also has the toe problem

Sonoran silkies I will try that! Thanks

10. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    if you breed silkie to showgirl only you well get less and less with 4 toes as long as you cull for the 5 toe gene

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by