HELP! Silkie can't stay awake!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by m00res, Jan 29, 2009.

1. m00res

m00res Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    HELP! I have a Silkie roo who hasn't crowed yet. I guess he is about 8- 10 months old. He acts as if he is STARVING but can't stay awake to eat. I keep waking him and he gobbles down food (eggs) for a few seconds but then falls back asleep. He is not interested in water so I've been feeding him water with a srynge with polyVisol drops in it. There is no bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. He is VERY skinny. I just didn't notice with all those feathers. I feel terrible. Poop was runny and all over him this morning. I didn't see the runny poop until yesterday but couldn't figure out who did it. Free range during day. Coop at night. Pine chips for bedding. They eat organic layer's pellets, oatmeal cooked and uncooked, greens, rice, strawberries, any healthy scraps from the kitchen. There is no respiratory problems, no mucus, runny nose, goopy eyes, nothing. Just SUPER skinny and weak. Would the hens be preventing him from eating? He is the low man on the pecking order. Oh, they have access to food and water 24/day.

Any thoughts? I'm going to try to get him to a vet as soon as I can. Thanks!

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    I would get the vet to take a stool sample- could be worms. They tend to use all of the nutrients in the food and leave the chicken weak and "starving". The vet should be able to help you out more. I'm impressed he's held on for so long!

3. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Oh- and be careful what you ask for in regards to crowing! [​IMG]

4. m00res

m00res Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    My silkie died at the vet today. I'm so very sad. It all happened so fast. They are doing a necropsy because I have two other birds that started laying shell less eggs and/or super thin shells this week and NO ONE of my 7 laid today. I am really worried about my flock. I collected stool samples from the coop and around the yard. They are running fecal tests. Anyone have anything similar? Thanks... [​IMG]

5. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    I've been having issues with thin/shell- less eggs for the past 2 weeks, and one of my hens has stopped laying entirely. No skinny or sick chickens though.

6. J and R

J and R New Egg

Jan 30, 2009
    Tuskegee, AL
    If they are not sick they may just need some calcium. Oyster shells are good.[​IMG]

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so so sorry about your Silkie [​IMG] I hope your others are OK, please give us updates if you find out what's happening...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by