Help!!! Silkie chick hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steponme1104, Dec 21, 2011.

1. steponme1104

steponme1104 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    I have an egg under my broody that is at day 23 and has peeped. When I checked at 12:30pm it had just started, the egg was barely cracked. I just got home (4:45pm) and the chick is still trying to get out of the shell. The whole it has made is about the size of a dime. The membrane is completely dry around the whole and there is a little blood on it!!! What do i do??? I started this egg in the bator and moved it to my hen at day 17. Should I put it in the bator or leave it under my broody!

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

id take it in to the incubator. wet the membrain a little and watch it. is it still cant get out help it. look up helping videos on youtube if u dnt know how to help. hope ur chick does ok. keep us posted

3. steponme1104

steponme1104 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    Thank you! I have now put it in the bator but it's still not trying to hatch out. It's churpin away though:)

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

watch it and if it dont make progress id help it. u say its day 23? its late. it may need help. but be very carful not to make it bleed. wet the membrain with a tissue so u can see the veins. u see blood put a wet paper towl on it and put it back till the veins dry up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by