1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!! Silkie Chicken in need!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CJ Hall, Mar 22, 2013.

1. CJ Hall

CJ Hall Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    Hi all, I have a young Silkie chicken that I found in a corner today. She keeps putting her head between her legs. She will lift her head and drink water but once she puts her head down she keeps it there until you make her pick it up. I called the breeder and she said to check for egg bound and I thought she was too young but I guess she had one from the same hatch that just laid an egg. Please help this is my daughters pet.

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Exactly how old is your chick/chicken...? Your response will indicate as to whether or not she is old enough to start laying eggs.

3. CJ Hall

Jun 12, 2012
    She was hatched around the 1st week of January. I don't think she is egg bound though. I used KY and looked and all I did was make her poop. Which looked normal.

4. CJ Hall

Jun 12, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. CJ Hall

Jun 12, 2012
    She is kind of acting like she has mites or something. She keeps picking at herself

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    She is too young to be laying eggs... it would be a good idea to treat her with Sevin or Permethryn in case she does have mites or lice... you will also need to treat the coop and nesting box(es) too. Repeat the treatment in 7-10 days after the initial treatment to ensure any hatching eggs are killed too.

Good luck!

7. CJ Hall

Jun 12, 2012
    I brought her in the house so I could watch her. She is sleeping and her head is twitching.

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Do a search on "wry neck". Also get some Poly-Vi-Sol without iron and give her a little. Silkies are susceptable to head injuries, and what you are seeing is the result. It takes time and a little extra TLC for them to pull through it.

You aren't alone. I also have a blue silkie pullet the same age going through the same thing. Must've been bouncing around too much and cracked her head on the top of the brooder.

9. CJ Hall

Jun 12, 2012
    Well I talked to another silkie breeder and she said inner ear infection. I'm giving her sulmet and it seems to be helping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by